Is cave diving safer than Open Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave is defined as the section of a cavern where no daylight can be seen. A cavern is then by definition a cave at night.
Of course. But that's not the definition for most of the diving world. They don't even know that the NSS-CDS even exists, much less their definition of a cave vs cavern. What's worse is that our definition is opposite of the dry cavers' definition.

have we completely diverged from the original question or is that one still in play? my take on the original question was that the cave diving environments envisioned tended to be more stable, so barring an earthquake or something like that - the cave isn't changing much aside from a silt out. So the dangers in the cave could (to some degree) be worked around by throwing hardware and planning at the problem. Redundant air, redundant computers, redundant CCR, etc. You can personally plan your risk level.
Whereas you could take all that planning to the ocean for a boat dive, and you surface to find the dive boat decided headcounts are for losers and now you're drifting out to sea, sharks decided they have a rubber fetish, or recreational boaters not even noticing flags/divers in the water. What random dangers in the cave? guide lines breaking off their anchors while you're down the hole, or having someone remove your ties?
It seems the cave risks can be planned for with an extremely pessimistic approach to the dive, whereas the open water dangers can't as easily be mitigated by your own proper planning/preparation. Your danger is how optimistic you are.
(otoh a surprise medical episode in open water they can likely shoot to the surface and to help faster thsn hauling you through a tunnel... swings and roundabouts. I can see why someone feels safer knowing they planned away the dangers of equipment failure, versus not knowing if the danger was a gaping maw headed at you in the murky vis)

Claustrophobics vs. Kenophobics.

Ding ding ding,

The winner is common sense.

or recreational boaters not even noticing flags/divers in the water.
I used to joke when someone asked me if I was diving mini-season, that I was keeping to safe endeavors, like diving solo on a rebreather in a siphon. Too many Captain Morgans and Ensign Budweisers on the water.

Hey... bottom line for me is that I am not an inland fresh water cave diver and never will be...... Just nothing there I want to see. Although I did do some cenote dives in the Yucatan on single tank with pony back in the early 90's that most here would be consider ill-advised......... but it was a blast and the vis was unbelievable and seemed totally safe to me and I am not cavern or cave certified. But on those days I did feel that I was qualified. I seriously doubt that those same Cenote divers and instructors I went with would have fared well or been comfortable diving low vis, high current, cold water, drysuit dives here in the PNW. And unfortunately they would be missing out on some great diving.!!

I can't believe there are 21 pages discussing this topic. Kind of like arguing that skydiving is safer than bowling.
I'll bet bowling is responsible for many hundreds of injuries more than sky diving. So sky diving is definitely safer!

I can't believe there are 21 pages discussing this topic. Kind of like arguing that skydiving is safer than bowling.
Many, many more people die golfing every year than sky diving. So clearly sky diving is safer.🤔

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom