Is cave diving safer than Open Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On our last trip we had a discussion comparing cave diving to regular open water diving.
Cave diving has a deadly reputation, but, in all honesty, I've never been scared of it. I did cave dive twice in small sea caves and found it a pretty chill experience. Open water diving in the same sea outside the cave, on the contrary, tends to freak me out even after completing my 100th dive.
So my arguments were that cave diving is generally safer because it lacks the hazards of the open ocean: strong currents, storms, boat propellers, dangerous marine life, unreliable visibility, weird water conditions like downcurrents, etc. An overhead environment can be an advantage because it prevents you from shooting to the surface in a bout of panic. So, if done properly, cave diving in a spring is safer than diving in a sea because there are fewer things you cannot control.
I realize there are hazards specific of cave diving like silt outs, but, as longs as you can breathe and stay on the line, you always know the way out. In the meanwhile, in the open ocean, you may be caught in a strong current and drift away and never be found again.
Another advantage of cave diving in terms of safety is the fact that cave diving courses put great emphasis on safe diving techniques and are thus much harder than your typical OW where they take you down to 100 feet after your 6th OW dive for your AOW course (which I find ridiculously dangerous).
Anyway, I would live to hear your opinion on what you personally find safer and why?
Your lack of diving experience is showing. Cave diving is far, far more dangerous than open water diving. You can still panic and bolt up, only there you will hit a rock ceiling and get no air. Why do you think cave diving requires much more extensive training and knowledge?
If your AOW, you should take Tech 40 or Deco 40. You will learn a lot more about the physiological effects of diving on your body, become a much better recreational diver, and get silly ideas out of your head(like caving being safer than open water).

In the above I didn't finish a sentence - I meant to say that all of my cave dives were in what is called "recreational caves" - permanent guidelines, very little silt etc.
No such thing. There are:
Cavern dives-dives which you Penatrate the cave only as far as you can still see the light from your entrance(these can be done by AOW divers with a Cave instructor)
And:
Cave dives-going in beyond the light(for Cave certified divers only).

In her book someone almost dies or does die or gets bent or there is some emergency on almost every dive……. So, what do all of you think about Jill Henerth?

I think I’d avoid diving with this group 🤣

But a lot of the people whe went places with her almost died, did die or got bent. Not my idea of the way I want my life of diving to be.
She is a great author as well as a very experienced diver. I'm guessing that she made sure the book was interesting by focusing on the dives that had some drama -- the book wouldn't be very engaging if she spent a lot of time talking about everyday normal dives with no drama.

The real question is what's more dangerous Sharks or Alligators
IMG_1859.jpeg

In the above I didn't finish a sentence - I meant to say that all of my cave dives were in what is called "recreational caves" - permanent guidelines, very little silt etc.
Other than the silt part, 99% of cave diver are just like yours. It's fine and thousands of uneventful cave dives happen every year.

Conversely it took about 9 people to haul these 7 bags 1.5km and 300m down into a cave so I could dive the sump. If I had a problem on the dive "help" was at least 2 days and 2000+km away.

Attachments

• 356718173_269782059076451_9046164993102182566_n.jpg
    356718173_269782059076451_9046164993102182566_n.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 55
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom