Is cave diving safer than Open Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am guessing you are meaning something different than I am thinking?
Before I started teaching, I never swam backwards in open water. I do it a fair amount in caves and wrecks.
Good catch. There's a right and wrong way to swim backwards. The bad one is on your back looking for your buddy oblivious to where you're going. Instructors and guides do it all the time to keep track of their flock while leading.

I'll change it to "turning around vertically to look for your buddy". Cavers just dip their heads down to look between their fins or do a helicopter turn.

Before I started teaching,
While this may be true for some, The Scuba instructor is often deified by their students. They see them swimming backwards, doing the Buddha pose, bopping up and down like an underwater yo-yo doing emergency ascents with their students, and too often they emulate these bad habits. After all, their instructor knows EVERYTHING and they want to dive just like them.

Good catch. There's a right and wrong way to swim backwards. The bad one is on your back looking at your buddy oblivious to where you're going. Instructors and guides do it all the time.

There is nothing wrong with that method for a situational awareness/group/buddy check in OW when high enough off a reef/bottom or out in blue water…

I'll change it to "turning around vertically to look for your buddy". Cavers just dip their heads down to look between their fins or do a helicopter turn.

Again, nothing wrong with that approach in OW if high enough off the reef/bottom. In fact, going vertical in very fishy spots is a better way to take it all in than staying horizontal where you’ll miss much of the show going on around you!

Obviously, very different techniques are required in restricted spaces like caves where there isn’t much, if any, sealife swirling all around you that you want to take in…

Obviously, very different techniques are required in restricted spaces like caves where there isn’t much, if any, sealife swirling all around you that you want to take in…
That's kind of my point. However, dipping my head to see who's behind is far, far easier then swimming on my back. Most everything you do cave diving can be done in OW. Not everything done in OW should be done in a cave. You learn that in Cavern class.

That's kind of my point. However, dipping my head to see who's behind is far, far easier than swimming on my back. Most everything you do cave diving can be done in OW. Not everything done in OW should be done in a cave. You learn that in Cavern class.
Understood, but dipping your head to see who is behind you doesn’t work so well in OW where folks can be much further spread (horizontally and vertically) - esp when they are above you!

While this may be true for some, The Scuba instructor is often deified by their students. They see them swimming backwards, doing the Buddha pose, bopping up and down like an underwater yo-yo doing emergency ascents with their students, and too often they emulate these bad habits. After all, their instructor knows EVERYTHING and they want to dive just like them.
I meant literally swimming backwards. Not just looking behind me. I tend to lead the dive and face the students while I swim in a back kick. It allows me to set the pace and I can see all of them.

Understood, but dipping your head to see who is behind you doesn’t work so well in OW where folks can be much further spread (horizontally and vertically) - esp when they are above you!
I had very few issues with that. But I didn't let them get to OW without truly mastering trim and buoyancy. After 2010ish, all my students learned trim, frog kicking, and anti-silting techniques in the pool. They were never allowed to kneel, sit, or stand on the pool bottom. 4 was my maximum, though I did a 6 student class once (family). Even the Scuba doff and don was done horizontally while neutral.

My two best compliments on an OW class were one instructor asking me when I had started teaching cavern and another asking me why I had my cavern students snorkeling. It doesn't take a 100 dives to achieve being trim and neutral.

I had very few issues with that. But I didn't let them get to OW without truly mastering trim and buoyancy. After 2010ish, all my students learned trim, frog kicking, and anti-silting techniques in the pool. They were never allowed to kneel, sit, or stand on the pool bottom. 4 was my maximum, though I did a 6 student class once (family). Even the Scuba doff and don was done horizontally while neutral.
My point was that, as a recreational diver in open water, my buddy and the rest of the group are rarely right behind me where a simple head dip would allow me to locate them.

Caveat: We all teach differently and stress different skills. That doesn't make one person right and the other wrong. I taught in a manner I thought best for my students and what they were expecting from my class. It's not that I set the bar higher, but rather a bit more neutral. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom