Is Calling Someone an Ahole and a Jerk Against Tos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i'd like a clarification ...

is it ok to call somoeone an Ahole and a jerk?

or is that dependent on who is doing the name calling?

wow... now the thread The Lowest of the Low is gone because i asked why name-calling on posts was allowed to stand

just crazy ... Doc Intrepid simply deleted the thread rather than take out some name calling ...

wow ..

as i told him i would, i am PM-ing Pete on this at his request

Perhaps it's just gone for clean-up ... it was getting pretty nasty in there, after all.

A quick post (like Pete did with the Democratic thread) would be nice when a thread disappears ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hmmm.... H2Andy, I think it depends on whether that person really fits the definition!

Personally I don't like the use of the first word (even if it's well deserved). When I "attack" someone, I usually like to do it subtly... it usually goes right over their heads, but others get it.

NWGratefulDiver:
Perhaps it's just gone for clean-up ... it was getting pretty nasty in there, after all.

A quick post (like Pete did with the Democratic thread) would be nice when a thread disappears ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

no, Doc Intrepid made it clear that my questioning why the words ahole and jerk were allowed to stand was not acceptable.

his last post was "say goodbye, andy"

instead of removing the two posts i was talking about (where *I* was called names and yet refrained from responding in kind), he closes the whole thread

makes no sense to me

NWGratefulDiver:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
It left with over 200 posts if I recall I bet it comes back with less than 100 :D

It was getting messy in there and you guys had been warned. . .

H2Andy:
no, Doc Intrepid made it clear that my questioning why the words ahole and jerk were allowed to stand was not acceptable.

total abuse of power

instead of removing the two posts i was talking about (where *I* was called a name and yet refrained from responding in kind), he closes the whole thread

makes no sense to me

Andy, you were not the only victim there. A few posts were specifically made to bash me personally.

Doc's just trying to stop a war.

I agree that something should have been said earlier against the person who made those remarks to you.

H2Andy:

total abuse of power

instead of removing the two posts i was talking about (where *I* was called a name and yet refrained from responding in kind), he closes the whole thread

makes no sense to me
Baloney.

The thread is in the backroom.

It is so chock full of classless BS, innuendo, snide comments, rock throwing, and sniping at one another that it would take over an hour to cleanse all the crap and PM every poster. I have better things to do with my time today. If someone else wants to clean it up, they are welcome to have at it. And Andy, you know better than to declare open season on name calling and dung flinging.

There were three Mod warnings in that thread that were ignored.

What makes you think any other Mod warning would have been paid any greater attention to than the first three?

Doc, i asked if it was ok to call people aholes and jerk, because posts using those words were still up, and there seemed to have been no consequences for the poster, and you closed the thread

seems like people who call others names are not punished, and the rest of us get a thread closed

doesn't make sense, that's all

i would suggest after a Mod warning for name-calling, you give the offender a short vacation. that will get their attention and keep the thread on line

our Mod warning tactic does not work all the time. recognize when it isn't working and change it

again, the issue for me is that when someone name-calls and gets away with it, it just encourages further name calling ... if not on this thread, then in the next

if you start giving vacations out, this will discourage name calling not only in this thread, but in future threads at well

discipline users, not threads

RonDawg:
Doc's just trying to stop a war.

yes, and i appreciate that

i am suggesting that the way to do that is to punish the people behaving badly by giving them vacations, and letting the rest of us carry on with the thread

not closing the thread

that defeats the whole point

jhbryaniv:
It was getting messy in there and you guys had been warned. . .

that *is* the problem ... in the end, those of us playing by the TOS (the ones who heeded the warnings) were deprived of the thread just like the members who did not follow TOS

punish those who don't follow TOS. give them a vacation after a warning.

get them out of the thread so others can carry on within TOS

anyone see this difference, or is it just me?

Back
Top Bottom