Is Bonaire THAT good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Average

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all. I'm planning a 2 week trip out of Switzerland for my GF and me. After doing nonstop diving in 2011 (1 week Lembongan, 2 weeks Mabul/Sipadan) we really became huge fans of house reefs, and the two of us diving on our own. We kind of settled to just do some little diving, and more snorkeling and relaxing this year in the last two weeks of september, and settled for the perhentian islands (almost booked, but didn't yet). I have always been fascinated by the way you can dive in Bonaire, and I think we might like it alot, as I compare it to do "just housereef diving" on an entire island. Getting your tanks, jumping into the car and deciding for your own. But we kind of settled for Malaysia, also because of prices. Flight is a bit cheaper (out of Switzerland) and I'm sure, once there, accomodation and dives must be cheaper too? Then I came across this here: Awards | Scuba Diving Magazine Bonaire is in the first 2 spots in almost any category, for that region (and sometimes overall). Oh man.. so my questions are: Is it THAT good? So much better than the perhentians, or is the main reason for the high score, that it maybe appeals more to americans because its much closer? How does it compare to Malaysia, price wise? Is it also easy/possible to just snorkel right of the beach and have lazy days? People who know both: What are the main differences, to help me decide? Oh man, I almost had it haha... I'd love some quick responses, we're flying in 4 weeks and I should book the flights this w/e I think. thanks!

---------- Post Merged at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:56 PM ----------

sorry for no paragraphs, when I use this site in the office, it always does that. I think it works in quick reply.

For marine life, no where in the Caribbean can come close to Malaysia.

In Bonaire it is the NORM to be able to snorkel/dive right off the shoreline (all up and down the coast) and have lazy days....do as much or as little as you please.

It is for the Caribbean - not for the world.
Depends on what you are comparing it to.

I think the main appeal of Bonaire is it as DiveMaven said "... do as much or as little as you please." That is what drew me there no schedules.

But there isn't to much difference in the dive sites. However it is so much fun exploring around the island especially the north.

Also the only way to save some money on Bonaire is to go to the supermarket and cook for yourself eatting out is pretty pricey or the next best is to get your meals included.

But I think Bonaire is the greatest to dive your butt off so that you need a vacation from your vacation.

I'd absolutely agree with everyone else here...Bonaire is the best of the Caribbean, but it is not as good as any of the places you mention in Asia, which has far superior diving. What you mention about the shore diving is correct, and in the way you can just drive around with tanks and dive is unique from anywhere I've been in the world. I think Bonaire is reasonably priced for the Caribbean (and the shore diving aspect definitely keeps the costs down), but at least from the US it's usually an expensive flight, with sometimes lousy connections...although you coming from Europe might be different..I remember meeting several Dutch divers who said they got great deals flying KLM on a non stop flight from AMS. I've never dove the Perhentians, but I'd still bet it's cheaper overall and the diving superior.

I was awestruck by Sipadan, but Asia is much farther for me than the Caribbean. If the cost of airfare is taken out of the equation, I don't think Southeast Asia can be beat for its balance of economy and healthy abundant marine life. Diving is very affordable there, as you know.

But for the past several years, a group of friends and I have been going to Bonaire, and we love it. We love it because we can set our own schedule and are not beholden to a dive boat's schedule. If we want to dive, we just pick a site and go. If we don't feel like diving at the moment, we can do something else on the island. The rental trucks with the tank racks just give you incredible freedom to dive where you want and when you want. We rent a condo, shop for our food in the supermarket, and cook most of our meals. Bonaire is the most relaxed, laid-back diving I've done, and it really appeals to me.

Thanks for all the input!

Just wanted to mention as well: Food pricing varies greatly. The little local Asian corner store just north of Buddy Dive that sells most anything is fine, but VERY expensive. Head south into Kralendijk to the Van den Tweel supermarket. It's a modern supermarket and has anything you could need, as well as many things which I've never, ever seen before. Pricing was great there.

Just wanted to mention as well: Food pricing varies greatly. The little local Asian corner store just north of Buddy Dive that sells most anything is fine, but VERY expensive. Head south into Kralendijk to the Van den Tweel supermarket. It's a modern supermarket and has anything you could need, as well as many things which I've never, ever seen before. Pricing was great there.

It depends on what you buy, and where it comes from before Bonaire.

Zhung Kong has the cheapest beer of all the Bonaire markets, as well as a good selection of liquor at reasonable prices.

Van den Tweel's has reasonable prices and great selection on bread, produce, and some meats. But their dairy products all come from Holland and are very expensive. Beer is somewhat more expensive ($33/case of Polar vs. $29/case at Zhung Kong last winter.)

Our resident friends tell us the trick is knowing what you want and where to find it at the best price. They regularly visit several stores to accomplish this. We've learned to do the same on our annual visits, and it works pretty well.

In a word..YES!

Have spent 5 weeks on the Island and will return!

Back
Top Bottom