Is anyone interested in taking UTD Essentials? 10/9-10/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had a great day diving at Lobos today with Don, our instructor. He's such a graceful diver & has very helpful tips!

I can't wait for our essentials class start!!!

Lots of communication goes on outside of threads :D

Diver 1: Wanna go diving? Diver 2: Sure *splash*

Mike M., are you in?

I'm afraid if I show an interest I will become really dissatisfied with my current gear, and as I can't afford to replace everything, or anything for that matter, I hope to be able to see your grace once you all are done. If you can't be a graceful diver, may as well watch them :)

I'm afraid if I show an interest I will become really dissatisfied with my current gear, and as I can't afford to replace everything

Hi Pacific Gal,

All is not lost if you don't have the $$ for gear/classes. I learned a bit of DIR technique by simply looking on youtube for video clips on how to hold trim, do the frog kick, flutter, back kick, etc. Then I did a search on the Scubaboard "DIR" forum for the same topics and found all kinds of great information about diving technique, also I found great information about underwater awareness/safety. Diving with DIR divers also really helps. After many hours of practicing what I read on the DIR forum and a number of dives with DIR divers -- I was diving MUCH better and I was certainly more aware underwater.

Caveat: Of course, learning some of the DIR system in bits and pieces like this isn't a substitution for taking cohesive classes, (as DIR diving is a highly functional diving system inclusive of many elements-such as buddy skills, diving technique, streamline gear, and lots of other stuff that I'll start learning soon :).

(If someone in the know wants to elaborate - please do! I'm obviously just a novice)

Last edited:
I'm afraid if I show an interest I will become really dissatisfied with my current gear, and as I can't afford to replace everything, or anything for that matter, I hope to be able to see your grace once you all are done. If you can't be a graceful diver, may as well watch them :)

In reality you can sell much of your current gear to recoup the costs. Then purchase the gear you desire used for about the same price as what you sold your stuff for. Hopefully your regulators are of decent quality and can be reused. Of course I have no idea what type of equipment you are currently diving.

Have the gear requirements for Essentials changed? When my husband took it, the only requirement was a long hose and non-split fins. You can buy a long hose for about $30, and the Deep See Pulse fins are on sale at Leisurepro for $29.95 (or you can look for used Jet fins, which often sell around here for about $25).

Have the gear requirements for Essentials changed? When my husband took it, the only requirement was a long hose and non-split fins. You can buy a long hose for about $30, and the Deep See Pulse fins are on sale at Leisurepro for $29.95 (or you can look for used Jet fins, which often sell around here for about $25).

Good point. Just coppied the gear requirements from the UTD Essentials site. Fins/long hose are the only requirements.

Required Equipment:

o 5 or 7 ft. Primary Regulator Hose. Without this you will not be able to learn and
conduct air sharing correctly.

o Fins: non-split variety. Without these you will be unable to learn proficient fin kick.

* Note all equipment can be rented for the course .

Here are some additional gear recommendations (but they are not required)

Recommended Equipment:

o Back plate BC System, SS or Aluminum Back plate w/ web harness and hardware
o Back inflate style wing
o At least one depth-measuring device
o At least one time-keeping device
o At least one cutting device
o X-notes or Wetnotes
o One spool with 100 feet of line
o One surface marker or lift bag
o Exposure suit appropriate for the environment you will be diving in

Isn't one of those can lights recommended too? I thought I saw that when I perused the course description you posted the link to.
No, I think Ben_ca's signature line says something about divorce comes after diving in the dictionary...mine's the other way around, diving is how I'm getting through the loneliness of the divorce. Thanks to all of you whose posts I can read to fill my time and remember that there's so much more!
Once I learn how to budget, maybe then I can learn the intricacies of diving, especially since a special DIR practitioner said he'd do my 100th with me, would be nice to be able stay trim with him.

Last edited:
Isn't one of those can lights recommended too? I thought I saw that when I perused the course description you posted the link to.
No, I think Ben_ca's signature line says something about divorce comes after diving in the dictionary...mine's the other way around, diving is how I'm getting through the loneliness of the divorce. Thanks to all of you whose posts I can read to fill my time and remember that there's so much more!
Once I learn how to budget, maybe then I can learn the intricacies of diving, especially since a special DIR practitioner said he'd do my 100th with me, would be nice to be able stay trim with him.

Hi Pacific Gal,

Here's what the UTD Essential page says about a canister light:

Suggested Accessories (not required, just nice if available for you):
■BC mounted canister dive light w/ Goodman handle or long hose catch such as a knife pouch

If you'd like to learn more about Essentials class & gear requirements - just check this link: Essentials - Unified Team Diving

Seriously... if someone wants to take the class but doesn't have the gear let us know... I have an extra singles plate and wing... I'm sure Don has a couple also. Understand though that gear is only part of the equation. Some would argue it's the smallest, easiest (and least important) part.

It's the other things that are hard to acquire... The things you cannot buy in a diveshop nor gleam from the internet.

Back
Top Bottom