Is anyone interested in becoming their own Travel Agent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, so which person on this board created a dummy user called Depth Gauge to put Natasha down? Strange topic for a new user to make their very first post, while immediately taking sides in a touchy debate.

Reeks of eBay shill bidding tactics.

bendiggins,

I wasn't trying to put Natasha down. I just thought she was BRUTAL with Stone.

Depth Gauge

PS ZERO ebay shilling tactics going on here!

Well if that's the case, welcome to ScubaBoard! Try and stay friends with the regulators :D

Well thank you!

Who or what are the regulators? Or is that a pun given my handle?:)

Regulators are the people who monitor ScubaBoard, and keep things around here working. Natasha is one (and also one of the oldest active members of this board).

I missed the pun when I typed it :rolleyes:

Stone once bubbled...

Raxafarian,

GTI members get a free website. If a new member signs up from your website, GTI pays the member $100 (last I heard). This is usually called a finder's fee and is common practice. My company pays employees thousands of dollars for new hires that are referred.

I have never recieved a finder's fee. Most of the time I'm on the road when the travel topic comes up (which happens often for obvious reasons). I just tell people to do a search for "Global Travel" on the web.

then you should post a direct link to their website. By telling us to go to your website and click a link there, I automatically went and looked at that link and saw the referral code.

I don't know whether the company is a good one or not... I'll let others debate that.

I just didn't think the referral link was appropriate. You are basically telling us how great the company is, yet the means by which you told us to reach their website generates income for you.

quote from GTI's website "affiliate page":

"Make Money by Linking to GlobalTravel.com Today!

As a website owner you can be generating referral fees today by joining the GlobalTravel.com Affiliate Program. All kinds of sites have joined our program--and anyone can benefit.

By simply linking to GlobalTravel.com, you can earn generous referral fees by having visitors click from your site through to GlobalTravel.com to join our Independent Agent Program. "

a direct link to the company would have alleviated that concern.

Get the facts, then you can decide:

1. When you join a host agency, you will share that agency's IATA number. Not the card! The IATA number is used to track bookings and fees, nothing else. It doesn't come with any privilege. Do not be deceived by anyone trying to confuse the IATA number and the IATAN card.

2. To get your IATAN card (that is the personal travel agent card, not the IATA number), you'll need to be on IATAN's list for 6 months, generate at least $5,000 in commissions over the previous 12 months and send them your 1099 tax form as evidence. If you average a 10% commission (and you might do more, you might do less), you'll need to generate $50,000 in bookings. You will also need to pay $15, not $495.

3. Do yourself a favor and call a few of the big travel suppliers and ask them if they'll extend a discount to just any "travel agent card". You'll soon realize that the only card that may get you anything is the IATAN card, not just any bogus laminated card.

4. Call IATA or IATAN (their subsidiary):

IATAN: www.iatan.com/2_0.htm

IATA: www1.iata.org/contactus.htm

This will cost you 5 minutes of your time before you start spending the same amount as the price of a top regulator…

5. Be weary of so-called savings. Remember those old phone company commercials? "You can save 30%". "I have saved $300". Off what? I save $2000 each time I fly to France. Not because I have a card. Just because the full coach published fare is about $2,500. But most travel agencies or travel websites have a discounted rate at around $500. It goes up to $800 or $900 during high season.

If your interest only lies in savings, the Net has plenty to offer and you certainly don't need to pay anything to access these various discounts. If you have a real interest in becoming what is called an outside agent (and there is nothing wrong with that), here are a few leads:

1. Spend $20 or $30 for one of the two good books about this business: "How to Start a Home Based Travel Agency" by Tom and Joanie Hogg or "Home-based Travel Agent" by Kelly Monaghan. It will give you a good idea of what this business is about and if you're prepared to spend the time and efforts it requires.

2. If so, find a host agency. A good agency will not charge you $495 to become an outside agent. In fact, they won't charge you anything at all. What you will have to pay is the premium for an Error & Omission insurance coverage (about $100). You may want to use one of the professional software, such as Sabre ($45 to $65 a month), but that's only optional and not recommended at the beginning. Always think about what you have to generate to cover your cost. Most good host agencies will let you use their website for booking for little to no money, instead. Also, a good host agency will let you keep 70-80% of the commision. Not "up to 50%". Go ahead! Type "host agency" in Yahoo. You'll see how many there are and what they have to offer!

3. That's it for the part that's specific to becoming a home-based travel agent. If you're a beginner, it will only cost you $130 to be technically able sell travel to your friends and family (emphasize on the "technically able").

4. After that, you'll incur miscellaneous expenses as for any other business (business cards, letterhead, business associations, website, etc.). But if you're home-based and slightly resourceful, these can be fairly nominal. You'll have to be a lot more resourceful to be a successful travel agent!

5. And as for any other business, you'll have to learn and learn and learn. Success doesn't happen over night or we would all be billionaire.

As for anything else, if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

So it's probably just an omission when you don't mention that your card is not issued by IATA, but rather by your host agency?

Don't you think it's confusing for the reader who doesn't know anything about the subject matter?

On the one hand, you have an ID card that's printed by the host agency, on the other you have the card that's issued by the Internationnal Air Transport Association, the one association that represents all the commercial airlines, in the entire world, based on your work as a travel agent.

What if my dive shop starts selling their own C.Cards to just anybody who pays $500? Do you think their card will be as valuable in the world as the PADI or NAUI card that shows that you actually learned how to dive?

The whole emphasize on the card is wrong anyway. The real benefits of being a travel agent will come from the suppliers with whom you personally generate the most business. Again, based on your work, not just a card.

For more on the subject: www.courts.state.ny.us/tandv/ita.html

Arnaud once bubbled...
What if my dive shop starts selling their own C.Cards to just anybody who pays $500? Do you think their card will be as valuable in the world as the PADI or NAUI card that shows that you actually learned how to dive?

I think there are many shops that sell C-cards to anyone who's willing to pay, but they are a card with one of the big agencies' names on it, not just some homemade card!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom