Is anyone interested in becoming their own Travel Agent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ASTA's Consumer Affairs Department cautions consumers to beware of offers from "card mills:" companies which sell questionable travel agent credentials. Consumers may be led to believe that such cards allow them to travel at free or reduced fares. Organizations making these offers are known throughout the travel industry as card mills because they routinely offer credentials by the thousands in the form of an identification card that is sold for a significant fee. In turn, these cards would presumably be accepted by every segment of the travel industry.

Many suppliers of travel, however, do not accept them.

In recent months, ASTA's Consumer Affairs Department has received an increase of calls from consumers being wooed by these card mill operators. Most of those solicited have been promised that they can get all the benefits of being a travel agent. However, ASTA cautions that the industry has become much more vigilant in clamping down on those using card mill credentials.

If you have received an offer to purchase a card that supposedly allows you to receive travel agent benefits or discounts, call ASTA's Consumer Affairs Department at (703) 739-8739 for information and guidance.

This does sound interesting as I have been thinking what could I do when I am ready to retire my Nurse shoes. Seriously, I have thought that travel was the area I would be next most interested in. I also, have given thought to offerring to be the LDS travel agent if they would like one. This might just be what I need to do. I looked over the info on the web site. Just need to mull it over some more.

By the way Stone, my father is buying a condo in Destin. I live about 8 hours away and will most likely be down there a few times a year. I was in Panama City Bch. last month with my sister, brother in law, my brother and his family, and mine. We dove with Panama City Dive Center. They were pretty good. The water did not cooperate though, seas were stirred up just prior to Isadore coming up the gulf. I have a condo reserved for next summer for my family too. My sister has just bought a weekend condo for them there. They only live 2 and a half hours away. So I plan on trying to dive again. I hear the diving can be very good.

I looked at that web site Stone. The picture they show is not a real IATA Card. Since I have the real deal, I know. As do most people in the industry. The price of $120.00 is another giveaway, to anyone in this industry. What you have is a counterfeit. You've been able to slip this past suppliers & get undeserved discounts. If this doesn't bother you, then I'm wondering where you'd draw the line. Why not skip the card & go right for the real thing...counterfeit money. It's the same thing, your cheating people.
It's a scam, pure & simple. What's in it for you, Stone? Since this is the second thread I've come across with your proudly displaying this info, it seems like you've got a vested interest.
Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against people saving money. Book your trip anyway that you'd like. It's when it's outright fraud that I have a problem. It is not like Sam's Club & Costco. It is like having a fake Sam's card or Costco card. You might sneak it past them once or twice, does that make it okay? The bottom line is you are cheating someone. It's a matter of ethics. There's no way to justify this.

As much as I dislike going over old ground, I dislike reading misinformation or disinformation generated by ignorance.

The reality is Global Travel International is a 9 year-old financially strong, debt-free company and is a licensed, bonded and accredited travel agency of ARC, CLIA, BBB and ARTA and is endorsed by the world's major airlines, hotel and travel suppliers. As of August 2002 Global Travel had over 40,000 Independent Travel Agents in 50 States and 85 Countries serviced by a team of over 200 reservationists and support staff in Florida.

A few of GTI’s prefered partners are Club Med, Avis, Holiday Inn, Walt Disney Travel, and Carnival Cruise lines (and there are many, many more).

The American Society of Travel Agents (ASTA) is soliciting complaints from consumers who are not satified with companies that promise commissions and benefits that they never deliver. Since something like 80-90% of GTI members continue to renew their memberships, it is obvious that GTI is not one of the fly-by-night companies that are apparently out there. By the way, the Federal Trade Commission and the Council of Better Business Bureaus have found no problems with Global Travel.

Here’s a quote from an article in the New York Times.
Not all traditional travel agents are hostile. John Hawks, president of the Association of Retail Travel Agents (ARTA), said Global Travel was both legitimate and good for the industry. "People in our industry have tended to blackball anyone who doesn't do business the way it's always been done," he said.
And here’s a quote from the Central Florida Business Journal
How does Global Travel International work? Like a discount warehouse that buys huge quantities of food at lower prices, Global purchases cruises, hotel rooms and vacation packages at a discount rate. Those savings are then available to agents, much in the way that someone who buys a membership at Cosco gets additional discounts. The agents also get to share travel agent commissions with the company for referring travel to Global. For example, if a Global agent refers a friend to the company, and the friend buys a $3000 vacation package that pays a 10 percent commission to the travel agent, Global and the outside travel agent split the commission. That’s how agents earn back their initial investment and annual fee. The agents don’t actually book travel with airlines or hotels. Global Travel has a staff of full-time travel agents who make airline, cruise and hotel reservations from a central office. - Leslie Clark

I advise anyone who travels routinely or is planning an expensive vacation to investigate GTI to their heart's content and decide on the facts, not on misinformation.

raxafarian once bubbled...
there seems to be a referral code in the link on your website??

15% referral commission??

Raxafarian,

GTI members get a free website. If a new member signs up from your website, GTI pays the member $100 (last I heard). This is usually called a finder's fee and is common practice. My company pays employees thousands of dollars for new hires that are referred.

I have never recieved a finder's fee. Most of the time I'm on the road when the travel topic comes up (which happens often for obvious reasons). I just tell people to do a search for "Global Travel" on the web.

Hey Stone,

It all sounds legitimate to me. I think the other replies were way off base, coming from a bitter travel agent who's business is in trouble! Best of luck to you and great success!

Depth Gauge:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom