is an 8/7 wetsuit inappropriate for warmer water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes boiling....er, at least hot to the point of being extremely uncomfortable.
If your suit allows some water to enter and prevents any from leaving, you will heat up.
Add warm ambient water, pee, and heavy swimming into the mix and you could very well get pretty toasty.

Peeling down halfway could help, but if the sun's shining and you have a tight 8 mil around your legs it'll still feel pretty toasty for a while.
Plus if it is tight and anything like my 7mm, it'll be a pain to take on and off wet.

Just my two cents

Sorry, I was writing when you were and missed this offering. Adding "warm" 75 degree water will not over heat us will it? Pee is the same temperature as I am, and cools very quickly to the surrounding temperature (in my opinion). And heavy swimming (frowned upon aside), again is little match for the cooling effect of water 20 degrees colder than us, isn't it?

How is that possible?

Surface swims through breaking waves or kelp crawls works up a mighty sweat if your suit insulates you well enough.
Also the thicker the suit the more resistance it gives when you're moving around.
At least from my experience

Once again with 75F water it's not likely but still not impossible. Really depends on the suit and the person.

Same reason you sweat when the air temp is below body temp. Because you generate heat that the body needs to expel.

Those were the words I was looking for! Thanks
Sometimes I beat around the bush too much without knowing it =.=*

Those were the words I was looking for! Thanks
Sometimes I beat around the bush too much without knowing it =.=*

but wouldn't that also raise the temp of your pee?

Surface swims through breaking waves or kelp crawls works up a mighty sweat if your suit insulates you well enough.
Also the thicker the suit the more resistance it gives when you're moving around.
At least from my experience

Once again with 75F water it's not likely but still not impossible. Really depends on the suit and the person.

Although I have seen absolutely no evidence to suggest this is even remotely possible, I will take you at your word that you have a way to gauge the temperature of the water coming out your farmer john. And because of your custom suit is incredibly efficient, you are able to heat the water in it to a greater temperature than your own body.

Back to your original offering about him "boiling" in it. Do you expect he will also be crawling through kelp in said super suit? Or as a general rule, do you think he will be just fine and comfy in his suit of choice?

Internal body temp vs skin surface temp

Are these always the same?

No, in fact it is my understanding that the skin temperature is always cooler than the core temperature when submerged in cool water. Our body draws blood from the extremities and skin into the core to keep the core warm. Thoughts?

but wouldn't that also raise the temp of your pee?

You body is 98.6F.
Hyperthermia sets in when you pass 101F.
With your body keeping homeostasis, ie sweating or shivering, you're only talking about changing temps of 0.1F if your lucky.
You feel yourself heat up because your body is releasing the extra heat. But your core temp is still 98.6F or maybe 98.7F.

So yes your pee may heat up but we're not even talking much.

Now if you're unable to get rid of extra heat, say a thick WELL fitting wetsuit, then your body won't be able to get rid of that extra heat.

I want to clarify that I find it highly unlikey for the OP to overheat to life threatening conditions in the water. I'm saying he might find it a little uncomfortable if he has a custom good fitting suit.
And during the surface intervals he may overheat if he doesn't play his cards right.
But of course there are ways to get comfortable suring SI and in the water. It's just a matter if your willing to put up with fidgeting through a thick 8mm suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom