is an 8/7 wetsuit inappropriate for warmer water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My question for you is not weather or not we can heat up our bodies past the surrounding temperature, it is weather we can heat up the surrounding temperature past that of our body.

I am not trying to ignore anything. I am looking for evidence greater than your speculations. If you are offering anything of evidentiary value, it haven't yet recognized it as such. Perhaps site your sources. Since you are making this assertion, I have to believe you have some evidence for it. Obviously it will be much easier for you to prove that your evidence exists than it would be for me to prove that your evidence does not exist. I don't know what your evidence is.

If on the other hand this is nothing more for you than a penis measuring competition, then I am happy to let our discussion end here.

im mainly curious to what makes you think we cant heat up our bodies past our bodies normal operating temperature when the outside temp is colder, air is just the easyest way to show it as its the place it happens most often, being overdressed on a warm day ( a day that temp is lower than ure bodys temperature) is quickest way to show it that everyone can relate to, it can cause heat stroke very easily, as although the clothes produce no energy or heat of there own, the stop heat escaping from the body, and a wetsuits job is to stop heat from escaping, so you can easily have to thick of a wetsuit for the conditions your in that can make you uncomfortable hot, ive seen it happen myself with a person wearing an 8mm semi dry on the great barrier reef, was uncomfortably hot in the water, and was realy ****ed getting out of the water back onto the boat.

not trying to have a penis measuring comp here, just stating what i know thats all.

im mainly curious to what makes you think we cant heat up our bodies past our bodies normal operating temperature when the outside temp is colder, air is just the easyest way to show it as its the place it happens most often, being overdressed on a warm day ( a day that temp is lower than ure bodys temperature) is quickest way to show it that everyone can relate to, it can cause heat stroke very easily, as although the clothes produce no energy or heat of there own, the stop heat escaping from the body, and a wetsuits job is to stop heat from escaping, so you can easily have to thick of a wetsuit for the conditions your in that can make you uncomfortable hot, ive seen it happen myself with a person wearing an 8mm semi dry on the great barrier reef, was uncomfortably hot in the water, and was realy ****ed getting out of the water back onto the boat.

not trying to have a penis measuring comp here, just stating what i know thats all.

You know, I would really appreciate it if you could help out your argument a little. I am scouring the internet, searching every combination of "overheating" "wetsuit" "hyperthermia" "scuba" etc in an effort to prove myself wrong on this. I would much rather find it myself than have someone post some indisputable evidence that makes me look foolish. I am finding page after page, report after report about the chilling effects on divers in "even warm water" (defined as any water cooler than body temperature - 98.6). I am finding many warnings about the possibility of over heating on the surface in a wetsuit before a dive. But still can not find a shred of evidence to support your theory.

If you are right, this is very important information. Please don't hold back. If this is anything more than your opinion, I implore you to show me where you are getting your information. As a guy who makes his living teaching scuba, this would be vital information to share with my students.

My POV and experience...I enjoy myself a lot more in a 3ml or 5 ml if I'm doing multiple dives...I got my son a nice 3ml, new for $79. It has a lot to do with the amount of lead and comfort not to mention packing and checking in luggage...

Important Internet Hypothermia Information.

Exertion prior to or during immersion, will lead to Hypothermia, the onset symptoms
of which are masked by the thermal properties of the fluid in which one is immersed.

YouTube - Circus! Theme Music

Important Internet Hypothermia Information.

Exertion prior to or during immersion, will lead to Hypothermia, the onset symptoms
of which are masked by the thermal properties of the fluid in which one is immersed.

YouTube - Circus! Theme Music
Did you mean hypothermia, or hyperthrmia?

Overheating Underwater

few people in this thread seem to of had issues, yet mostly fixed by flushing new water into the suit,

You know, when this discussion started it was about weather or not an 8 mil wetsuit would be rendered uselessly hot in 75 degree water. It then morphed into the possibility of our bodies heating water to a higher degree than our own core temperature. Then it became weather or not people, in said suit, could become medically endangered by diving in it. Now we seem to have settled on the idea that a few people on a chat board like to flush some refreshing water into their suit when they get warm diving in certain circumstances.

I think we have reached the end. Certainly for me, any further argument is something I never intended to become embroiled in, and baring any actual revelations, I think is probably pointless. Thanks for your time and input. See you soon in another discussion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom