Is a tank flammable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Winters:
So how do you know that he is not heating his room to 1221°F, just a little above the melting point of aluminum?

wow, man... this is so true...

and, you know, with all that burning paper and bedsheets and textbooks
(major hazard!) spontaneously combusting by the time you get the room to 1221 F, that tank will just go "KABOOM" in seconds flat, man

eyebrow

Well, if you happen the buy the super high performance titanium tanks, then yes, your tanks are a fire hazard and no amount of water will put them out. Only two problems:

1. The fire would have to be very hot to ignite the titanium.
2. Nobody is making titanium tanks.

Just don't store the titanium wheels off your 18-wheeler in your dorm!!:wink:

Bill B.

Paint it red, tell her its a fire extinguisher.
Or put it in a duffle bag. I had NYC bus drivers refuse to let me on with a tank when I was 15.

The school might be on the lookout for kids bringing equipment in for recreational nitrous oxide use. It's common among college kids, some combine it with acid.

Just a thought...

Tom Winters:
Instead of condemning this dorm director, you should all be thanking her for being so concerned. And I'll bet she's no whale meat eater either!
Maybe, but I hear that she wears her mask on her forehead.

Joe

Sideband:
Maybe, but I hear that she wears her mask on her forehead.

Joe
There you go. You just had to insult her. :D :D

OE2X:
There you go. You just had to insult her. :D :D

Hey, that's no insult...:D

Heffey:
Lastly, there is the real danger of exposing a partially filled tank to a fire.
What exactly would that danger be? Some poor firefighter might kick the door in to hose the fire down and end up soiling himself when the burst disk goes off like a gunshot?

devolution365:
The school might be on the lookout for kids bringing equipment in for recreational nitrous oxide use. It's common among college kids, some combine it with acid.

Just a thought...
Holy crud! 80 cft of nitrous? They usually get them in those little CO2 type cartridges. With an 80 they could skip the balloons and just flood the whole dorm floor with the stuff. Inata party! A slow leak could keep everyone in the room happy for a week.

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom