Is a pre-packaged “Save A Dive” kit worth the expense?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you can't go wrong with both. Get a basic kit, then if something happens you are not out of a dive. But you can build into the kit with more individual type items, but still have some basics, and you could be a savior to someone else. I don't think you can ever be over prepared, better to have a little extra, than not enough.

The Scuba tool is a standard part of my basic kit. However, I have found that a Leatherman tool is a valuable work horse addition. (Check out the new Surge model.) The right tools and spare parts make all the difference.

Just saved a dive the other day when the o-ring on a new tank blew. The valve was different than my other tank, uses a different o-ring. The kit had both kinds...if I just purchased a package of o-rings, I probably would not have had the one I needed.

You know for 15 or 20 bucks...it's well worth it.

Jeff

PFF:
Is a pre-packaged “Save A Dive” kit worth the expense?

I am not talking cost but the quality and durability of the spares offered in the kit. I am debating as to whether or not the kits are worth while versus assembling a more personalized kit with specific individual pieces tailored to the equipment I own.

Well.... a serious diver needs something. Little tool kits like the ones you can buy from Beaver are a good start but I think that those pre-packaged save-a-dive kits are pretty useless.

Spend a little money on rolling your own. It will be more useful and you'll be happier with it in the end.

R..

scubatoys:
I'd probably say the little small ones are not much of a value... If you want a nice little kit, there is one that comes in a small box with a scuba tool, 40 o-rings, straps, mouthpiece, etc... and since a scubatool by itself would run most the price - those seem like a good deal.

http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=deluxe_saveadive

I'm not a big proponent of buying online (no I wont get into it) but I have to admit that, the kit Larry is referencing is pretty universal.

On another note, if/when you take your divemaster class, one of the task's you have to complete is to construct your own Save-A-Dive kit with emphasis on "universal" replacement parts. The thought being that you are no longer thinking for yourself but that of the others in your dive party.

Regardless, Any backup is going to help when its needed to "save A dive". If you have equiptment specific reqiuirements then obviousely you would keep that stuff on hand.

You might also consider where you are diving. I keep the basic stuff, plus a rebuild kit for mi regs with me if i am going somewhere that that stuff might not be found (palau, bikini, some parts of south or central amarica, africa).

Also spare batteries for battery powered gear, including lights and computer. If your are going to be away for a week or more, these can easily go. I keep vacuum bagged batteries in my dive kit.

ba_hiker:
You might also consider where you are diving. I keep the basic stuff, plus a rebuild kit for mi regs with me if i am going somewhere that that stuff might not be found (palau, bikini, some parts of south or central amarica, africa).

Also spare batteries for battery powered gear, including lights and computer. If your are going to be away for a week or more, these can easily go. I keep vacuum bagged batteries in my dive kit.
Very good point. I vacuum seal all(most) food before it goes in the freezer. I have just recently discovered the other uses for that machine. Batteries are a good idea......

I just want to thank everyone who has chimed in over the past week. You have been extremely helpful and inciteful.

Mikswi, thank you for the insight into the Dive Master aspect of a Save a Dive kit. I was not thinking of creating a universal kit to potentially support other inviduals. I was only thinking of supporting my wife and I in our diving adventures. Given Dive Master and beyond is one of our goals, it looks like I need to potentially amend how I look our kit.

To everyone who has answered my inquiry, thank you again....

Our OW students are required to make a basic save-a-dive kit as well as a first aid kit. While I do have the stuff to save dives for my students it really gives them a sense of empowerment to save their own dives. They won't be able to run to me for parts after check-out weekend for the most part so I feel it's my responsibility to make sure they have made a basic kit (and have an idea how to expand it) before I send them into the real world.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom