Less Expensive / Value Priced Dive Ops / Discounts / Guides

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

planning a trip to big island. will be staying at puako, shore diving. will it be possible to hire a private dive master? if anyone knows or can recommend somebody.

I was looking for something similar. We have 5 Open Water divers (not very experienced) and want to shore dive in the Kohala Coast area, doing easy dives of less than 50 feet. Since it will be my first dive in Hawaii, I’d like to have someone who knows the area. It will cost us close to $1,500 for 2-tank dives for 5 people (around $250 per person). Instead, I was thinking about just renting the gear ($80 per person) and hiring a private dive master or paying someone to guide us on the first dive.

I called a few shops, but they didn’t like the idea at all, saying I have to use their services and pay full price ($250 per person). They mentioned insurance costs and other expenses, which I understand. However, I’m not boat diving, and I’m not signing any contracts that hold them legally accountable for anything. I’m just looking for 1-2 hours of someone’s time to show us around. To me, it’s a win-win situation.

Also, I’m new to the forum and mean no disrespect. I understand that dive operators have a business to run, along with standards for safety and quality, etc. I’m just at the point where I can probably do it on my own, but since it will be my first dive in Hawaii (even though I plan to stay within 40-50 feet), I’d like to have someone familiar with the area show me around. I’m not worried about my diving skills. Let me know if what I’m asking for is reasonable. :). Thanks.

...We have 5 Open Water divers (not very experienced)

I’m not worried about my diving skills.
Are you one of the "not very experienced" divers? If so then perhaps you -should- be worried about your diving skills. The ocean in Hawaii is proper open water and can be challenging almost any time of the year. Dragging five newish divers along on a shore dive is not trivial, it takes a dive pro and can still go sideways pretty quickly. One of my dive buddies just pulled a tourist diver out of the water at a very "easy" dive site, her family witnessed her death.

Thanks for the feedback! By diving skills, I meant at shallow depths (40-50 ft). We're all good (used to compete) swimmers, and I understand ocean conditions can change quickly. That's why I'm seeking advice here. But at what point do you think someone can do a 40ft shore dive without a dive master? Is it based on confidence, number of dives, site difficulty, or all of the above? Thanks again!

Also, the couple of times I've been to the Big Island recently, we spent most of our time snorkeling various spots throughout the day. I did a couple of early morning shore dives, but I found that most of the marine life is up in the shallows and therefore easy to see while snorkeling. Probably the most marine life we saw was while snorkeling at Kahalu'u Beach Park. It's a very shallow, which allows you to see all the fish up close. Other than a huge variety of colourful fish, it was full of moray eels, turtles and octopus. 2-Step also had very good snorkeling. From what I can remember, there wasn't much I saw scuba diving in Hawaii that I couldn't see while snorkeling. And snorkeling is free.

Also, the couple of times I've been to the Big Island recently, we spent most of our time snorkeling various spots throughout the day. I did a couple of early morning shore dives, but I found that most of the marine life is up in the shallows and therefore easy to see while snorkeling. Probably the most marine life we saw was while snorkeling at Kahalu'u Beach Park. It's a very shallow, which allows you to see all the fish up close. Other than a huge variety of colourful fish, it was full of moray eels, turtles and octopus. 2-Step also had very good snorkeling. From what I can remember, there wasn't much I saw scuba diving in Hawaii that I couldn't see while snorkeling. And snorkeling is free.
Thank you, it makes sense. I was asking myself as well, what is the point of diving if we can snorkle in the shallows.
👍🙏

The best snorkeling I have ever experienced was at 2-Step. Very good recommendation!

Thanks for suggestions. I will likely start with snorkeling and may progress to scuba in the same area, likely 2 step.
🙏👍

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom