Is a pre-packaged “Save A Dive” kit worth the expense?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PFF:
Ber Rabbit, I have never heard of a "slap strap". What exactly is that? Why do you prefer that over what came on your mask originally?

It's a neoprene strap. They make two kinds, some slip over your mask strap and some replace the mask strap. It's wide, easy to put on, doesn't twist, doesn't slip if you are wearing a hood (with the exception of some drysuit hoods) and if you are diving without a hood it doesn't tangle in your hair. They usually have an interesting picture on them or the name of the dive shop. Cost is about $13 at a shop the last time I looked but well worth it. You can get them online for about $10.

Ber :lilbunny:

I got one one once with a mask strap, finstrap and some other stuff and found it a waste as they didn't fit my gear. You definitely want a kit, but unless you find one that gives you a really good deal on things you might actually use instead of filler, I'd create your own. Even if you bought something premade you will be adding to it anyway over time.

There have been several threads posted where people list things they have in their kits you might want to read for ideas. Look at the bottom of this page under Similar Posts to start.

scubatoys:
I'd probably say the little small ones are not much of a value... If you want a nice little kit, there is one that comes in a small box with a scuba tool, 40 o-rings, straps, mouthpiece, etc... and since a scubatool by itself would run most the price - those seem like a good deal.

http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=deluxe_saveadive
That does look good. How much extra room is there in the box for additional pieces?

Joe

scubatoys:
I'd probably say the little small ones are not much of a value... If you want a nice little kit, there is one that comes in a small box with a scuba tool, 40 o-rings, straps, mouthpiece, etc... and since a scubatool by itself would run most the price - those seem like a good deal.

http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=deluxe_saveadive

that looks like a good deal. The scuba tool and the box alone are worth the $34 the kit costs....

PFF,

Worth it? That is something that only you can answer for you.

Since you asked opinions, I would say Yes. As stated by others, it can be a starting point. I bought one of the pre-packaged, then bought a pair of replacement straps that are specific to my fins. Then I slowly added other tools and goodies. I still have many of the original pieces from the purchased kit. The straps etc that came in the original kit could still save someone else's dive, which could save your/my day. So even if I never use some of the pieces, they still may be extremely valuable.

If you are intrepid, and feel that you can gather all the pieces yourself, and you can identify what you need, and something to hold them in, then bypass the pre-packaged and make your own. If you want something quick and easy, then consider the pre-packaged as a starter kit, then expand as you dive and learn.

There are some other really good threads from the past about what contents people suggest. Some of those are listed at the bottom of this thread as "Similar Threads".

Hope that helps,

Wristshot

I'm repeating the sentiments of some already posted here and likely in those similar threads. I also think the start kit with the tool on ScubaToys is a good place to START. From there it is essential to customize your kit. As it has been said, not all fin straps fit all fins. There are also other essentials that may be specific to you or your type of diving.

I dive in cold water with a drysuit - seal saver is an essential for me it can have dual purposes. Other items are: water proof tape, duct tape, seal/neoprene cement (example: Aqua Seal Cement), a dental pick for o-rings (found in the travel section of most grocery stores), imperial AND metric allen wrenches - it never fails you don't have the one you ned when you need it, toothpaste, extra first stage plugs, extra lp hose (works for both BC or drysuit hose in a pinch), EXTRA BATTERIES (you can never have enough batteris in your save-a-dive kit: batteries for your copmuter and lights.), zip ties zip ties zip ties!!, and extra fasteners.

Those are just a few goodies I've added over time that I find uses for often. My save-a-dive kit is in an inexpensive small semi-dry boat box. Works great - small and efficient, and I have always had what I needed when I needed it. My philosophy for now - if the problem requires something bigger than what's in my save-a-dive kit, perhaps I should sit that dive out...:D

I went the roll-your-own route. Spare mask and fin straps that I know fit, proper wrenches to work with my regulator, aquaseal, spare LP hose, cable ties, needle nose pliers and diagonal cutters (why mess with toenail clippers when you can just toss in a cheapie proper cutter), a spare stainless steel folding knife, dramamine and sudafed, a few other widgets. Tossed them into a little plastic box from the dollar store, then the box went into a 2-1/2 gallon ziploc bag.
The scubatool looks neat, absolutely, but in my case I'm not about to be doing anything other than basic add/remove/change a hose, so I was quite content to just go with the right wrenches. My cutters/pliers/wrenches cost $4 total.

Remember it's a save A DIVE kit. Not refurbish permanently kit.So if it comes time and an o-ring on your tank gets chewed or a fin strap breaks it's worth it. As long as what's in there fits your gear. My save a dive kit is in a 16x8x7inch deep plastic tool box and has 20 different sizes of o-rings both regular and viton. 2 spare fin straps, mask strap, silicone lube,christo lube,port plugs ,HP bullet tool for putting o-rings on, a set of o-ring picks(5 different styles), aquaseal, hex key set, about 100 zip ties in various sizes, 12 pc stubby wrench set(sae &metric), phillips and slotted screw drivers, 2 mouthpieces, lp hoses (reg and inflator), spare spg, and spare depth guage. I also normally carry a spare mask, set of fins, snorkel, and reg setup. It's taken time to accumulate this but on one particular weekend I had to change my hp hose, replace a buddies hp bullet o-rings, and loan another guy an octo off my spare reg. Like has been said when you need it it's worth it's weight in gold.

Remember reading somewhere that the only things you need are: WD-40 and duct tape. If it moves and shouldn't = duct tape
If it doesn't move but should = WD-40

oh and a couple of o-rings...

But please skip the WD40 (I only use it on one piece of gear, QuickDraw bracket pins where the bearings in the clips need an occaisional cleaning to keep them working nicely); it belongs nowhere near regulators or most other dive gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom