Is a God Needed for Morality?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in the end, you still hear what you want to hear and see what you want to see, Kim

you just get happy with it

NWGratefulDiver:
It's gone ???

alas yes... closed down and removed... don't get me started again

Who won ... the apes or the angels?

a tie?

NWGratefulDiver:
It's gone ???
You can never be sure with shows like that. Sometimes it'll shutdown someplace only to reopen a couple of days later down the road. In this case I'm not sure yet if the budget stretches to paying the cleaners.

Anyway.....I thought you were in Canada????

H2Andy:
is a God necessary to do that?

or can we find those definitions without a God?

Good and evil are basically defined by God (any of which you may choose.) Morality and piousness are our own efforts to appease God(s) in our never-ending search to be as close to God as we can. All this has turned lighter shades of gray as man destroys God further and further as years pass. But the assignment of morals in the start of any civilization is based on what deities hold dear.

H2Andy:
in the end, you still hear what you want to hear and see what you want to see, Kim

you just get happy with it
There we disagree....

It's all about self and no-self Andy......death strips it automatically...pretty cool really! :eyebrow:

but then you're dead!

and you must admit, you can't dive when you're dead

now... mostly dead....

:wink:

Anyway...this thread has already got 47 posts in an hour and a half.....I feel like a MOFer!!! :11:
I got stuff to do.....discuss ya later! :wink:

H2Andy:
is a God necessary to do that?

or can we find those definitions without a God?

Do they exist without god?

Do animals believe in good and evil?

Tassie_Rohan:
Do animals believe in good and evil?

do atheists belive in good and evil?

Absolute Truth vs. Whatever Dude, LOL

Are there absolutes in this universe (i.e., you are subject to gravity whether you are aware of it, understand it or believe in it) or not (I'm being repressed by this notion of gravity. The injustice!)?

We see animals and people protect their own kind when attacked... is this morality?

Is a predatory animal evil if it eats its normal prey? It is just following instinct.

Are humans any different? Do we feel remorse when we kill an animal for food, or when we backstab at work to get ahead? Where does that conscience thing come from? Are humans alone with this whole conscience thing?

Back
Top Bottom