Is a God Needed for Morality?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Define what is 'good' and what is 'evil'.

Tassie_Rohan:
Define what is 'good' and what is 'evil'.

is a God necessary to do that?

or can we find those definitions without a God?

H2Andy:
i follow my conscience
So the real question is........what's "conscience"...and where does THAT come from....

well, that's why i didnt' stop there... the rest of the list is also helpful

my conscience is not my only guide... i could be wrong...

I break laws all the time and don't feel bad. Illegal U turns at midnight, nobody looking? No problem. A victimless crime...my conscious never even blinks.

well... those are more like traffic ordinances

they don't count...

:wink:

H2Andy:
well, that's why i didnt' stop there... the rest of the list is also helpful

my conscience is not my only guide... i could be wrong...
I'm not arguing with you......I'm asking 'What is it?', 'Where does it come from?'

Think about it....it's interesting!

i think we're gonna disagree =)

really, a conscience is another name for your own set of values... where do they come from?

i believe they come from your upbringing and your initial society, and later in life, from your experience and your decisions as to what is "good" and what "isn't"

i don't think it's internal at all.. in other words, i don't think we "know" inherently what is right and we must simply look inward to find it

that's because i think "good" and "evil" are constructs that change depending on who is constructing them, where, and when

H2Andy:
that's because i think "good" and "evil" are constructs that change depending on who is constructing them, where, and when

Nope, I think it is black and white absolute- the force of evil is the disregard of the beauty that surrounds us and the lessons that it teaches. :D

H2Andy:
i think we're gonna disagree =)

really, a conscience is another name for your own set of values... where do they come from?

i believe they come from your upbringing and your initial society, and later in life, from your experience and your decisions as to what is "good" and what "isn't"

i don't think it's internal at all.. in other words, i don't think we "know" inherently what is right and we must simply look inward to find it

OK. If that's all true then what's the point of the thread question? If Good and Evil are contructs that simply depend on your background then they could be very different for everyone - so "morality" wouldn't exist really - or it too would be different for everyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom