Is a God Needed for Morality?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I try to keep in mind how I would want them to treat me.
well then, you shoulda paid the plumber more, Bill.

H2Andy:
ok, let me try a more realistic scenario:

what if you live in a society of cannibals, where it's ok to kill prisoners of war and eat them?

and you grow up with that, and you do it.

is that right or wrong? how do you know?

How about the opposite question- what are some things that "our society" considers acceptable that you don't?

No Andy...you aren't missing anything.

I just tried to suggest that everyone.....you too (as you actually said you did)...had a moral compass inside. It's called conscience. To me it doesn't lead to one belief or another but DOES create strong ideas about ones personal relationship with the rest of the world. Now.....you think that that is ALL manufactured inside your early experiences....I think that there is more involved.
Tell me... have you never had a dream where you *remembered* stuff you never did? Where did that memory come from? How can you create a memory that simply didn't exist before. Even the psychological stuff behind the guys that saw the Roswell events are only explained by having a basic *kernel* of reality at the source. The memories are false.....but even then they still didn't come out of nowhere.

do it easy:
How about the opposite question- what are some things that "our society" considers acceptable that you don't?

well, those are easy ...

my fear is that i may do things which our society, and myself, consider ok, which would be horrific to others, and, if i saw their point of view, maybe horrific to me too, but i just don't think twice about it

those procedures this week in Missouri...

Kim:
Tell me... have you never had a dream where you *remembered* stuff you never did? Where did that memory come from? How can you create a memory that simply didn't exist before. Even the psychological stuff behind the guys that saw the Roswell events are only explained by having a basic *kernel* of reality at the source. The memories are false.....but even then they still didn't come out of nowhere.

"remembered" stuff i never did? or do you mean just make up stuff?

as for the kernel, i can see movies, read books, talk to othr people... then i dream about that as though it were my life ...

that's possible

but i'm not sure what your point is

H2Andy:
but i'm not sure what your point is
I meant *remembered*.

My point?

In the immortal words of Harry Nilsson from his wonderful cartoon called...wait for it...."The Point"

Sometimes.."You see what you wanna see, and you hear what you wanna hear."

hmmm... most of the time, wouldn't you say?

H2Andy:
ok, now that the Creation v. Evolution thread is gone (and what a great thread it was)
It's gone ???

Who won ... the apes or the angels?

Anybody remember the score?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom