Is a Computer essential kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the replies and feedback.
As funds are limited and I need to buy my first setup I am opting to purchase a digital spg/depth gauge console that includes a dive timer (Cressi Digi 2) whilst saving for a dive computer.
This setup is a good fit between quality/accuracy/affordability and will get me in the water.
Watch out for those. The magnetic screen saver messes up the screen. I’ve heard nothing but bad news about them.

As funds are limited and I need to buy my first setup I am opting to purchase a digital spg/depth gauge console that includes a dive timer (Cressi Digi 2) whilst saving for a dive computer.
This setup is a good fit between quality/accuracy/affordability and will get me in the water.
That looks like $260. Understand you are in Australia, so these sources will not help much, but:

A good pressure gauge here costs only $50.
DGX Thin SPG, Naked.
The standard gauge about every sidemount diver is using.

And here is a dive computer for $230.
I do not know much about it, but Agualung is fairly well known, and others here are sure to comment.
i100.html

Earlier in this thread, Mac64 said that any multi-level, NDL dive could be planned using tables or the rule of 120. Challenged to do that, his solution was to have the diver use EANx 40 in violation of standard PPO2 limits and treat it as a flat profile dive. Even a EANx 40 dive to 100 feet has a limit of about 40 minutes on PADI tables. He never once showed how to do a multi-level dive using tables.
Hi
I know you have a bad personal experience with non-computer diving but this should not be the excuse to say that multi-level dives cannot be done with tables as this is not true.
Multi-level dives can be planned and done on the fly by using some specific tables or procedures.
These tables are even legal requirement in some countries in Europe.
Of course, for a multi dives a day on a LOB, nothing beats a computer :)

Hi
I agree that you don't need a computer to do the dives you plan to do as I dive often these profiles without a computer myself.
Now, if you want to go the computerless way, I, personaly, don't think that this digital Cressi gauge is the way to go.
First, as one of the poster mentionned it, it is expensive and second it won't really be "transferable" to another equipment set-up.
Just a basic metal gas gauge, an analog depthmeter and a basic waterproof watch would be cheaper (expecially if you buy second hand) and you will be able to use these 3 components when you start diving in different situations.
Here is a set-up to give you an idea:
Enjoy your dives

In the beginning….

Buy a second hand entry level Suunto recreational diving computer like the Zoop. Cheap and works well.

In the future….

If you enjoy your diving and get addicted enough to progress to more demanding diving, then buy something more advanced — along with all the other kit this entails.

Computers make fewer errors than humans do, at least in calculating things. And then again, a basic entry-level dive computer is not that expensive (less than 150 euro, a quick Google search tells me). To have one of your own ensures a log of every dive you make with it, helps with the calculation, eliminates the need for a dept gauge on rental gear (which may not be there sometimes).

The watch thread above really liked the Casio MDV106 for $50 to $70 as a basic sturdy actual dive watch.

MDV106-1A

And here is Aqua Lung's analog depth gauge for $90
Aqualung Depth Gauge

This way you wind up with a useful watch and a perfectly fine SPG.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom