Diving watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Started with a Marathon TSAR, then added a Cressi Leonardo DC. Still wore the TSAR on dives. Why? 1) I like watches, especially analog; 2) redundant timer on the bezel for bottom time and safety stop. Purely rec diving, had no plans to have a 2nd DC.

I've since added a Tag, Marathon GSAR, Seiko PADI Turtle (SRP1A), and a Marc & Sons DWFB "Ocean". I also have a Mudmaster, and recently changed over to the Deep 6 Excursion as a DC. May use the Leonardo as a backup DC, but it would probably not replace a watch.

I'm also still looking at watches though, and in no particular order: Longines HydroConquest, Bremont, Lum-Tec (local to me), Luminor Panerai, Doxa, Sinn, Omega, various Seiko's, Oris, Carl F. Bucherer, Graham Chronofighter Vintage GMT, maybe eventually an Audemars Piguet. There are others too, and no single "grail" watch. All of them in a collection at the same time? Never. All of them even owned, probably not! But I do like watches. Other than the current TSAR and GSAR there's little crossover in appearance in the models I like which makes it easier to pick which one to wear. In some of the collections I've seen, the owner has multiple watches that will look very similar. For me personally that is too redundant and I would rather have another watch that offers up a visual difference. The TSAR was a gift, so it is staying in the collection, the GSAR I prefer to wear unless I'm concerned about messing the watch up.

As for the Rolex, while there are a couple of white dial models I like, the brand is not on my list. I do have some mainstream and even expensive brands/models I like, but I also like the $500-$1500 micro-brand offerings out there, and would rather have a few of those. I'm also not buying based on value appreciation/depreciation. I buy it because I like it and will wear it. I generally wear a different watch or different watch & strap combo every day.

Going SCUBA? Only the TSAR, the Seiko and the M&S DWFB (Dive Watch Facebook) have ever accompanied me. Other Seiko's might, the others are usually capable, but not likely to happen!

And don't even get me started on straps!! NATO's, custom leather, some bracelets, almost too many options! But it gives me plenty of options for what I want to wear!!

9D7CE1C6-F3B0-4372-8BE9-BC9B74B5885B.jpeg

Love the Rip Curl with tide info.

More photos of some these timepieces please.

From the drawer.... this is a Ball Trieste next to that fuggly guy at Calvin’s Crack
4D178ABB-28FF-4C2E-A349-08EFDFC11ADC.jpeg
B8512126-4B6C-4FE3-93E9-22DCC1470163.jpeg
a very early Casio dive log watch, Ball Trieste, Swatch, German Tauchmeister hockey puck, Luminox, Seiko Twin, Seiko White Monster
CE609F11-F070-47B3-B85F-733E772DE1C0.jpeg

Crazy Russian dive watch9224C92C-964C-47E5-9123-F91BCDE40847.jpeg E3BB7AA4-3F63-4BFE-B493-22986D5EC86B.jpeg

the Seiko White Monster is crazy rare, more than the other colors, but not as desirable in the watch collector world.

Still, my go to favorite, the $49 Casio Solar. Never have to pop the case open for a battery.

here are Tritium displays, Ball (L) and Luminox (R)

Attachments

• 4271D20F-D1FE-49F3-9838-D5675A81947A.jpeg
    4271D20F-D1FE-49F3-9838-D5675A81947A.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 103
**Didn't read the whole thread**

That disclaimer stated: I do own a Rolex Submariner, No Date, as it should be. I enjoy the classic look and wear it every day whether in sweats, jeans, or something nicer. It is a dive watch and it has been wet. I purchased a very good condition used model from 1982. Fully serviced and works great.

It may seem like a waste to some but my adult boys know that if I were to die unexpectedly that they can sell the watch at most any jewelry store or pawn shop, for less than value, and have the funds to cover the basic cremation and service that I want. Takes that pressure off right from the go. So to me it just a wearable "emergency fund" that can be used immediately while all the other things get sorted out if I die.

When I was in my early 20s, I lived for several years in Asia (Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong), at a time when fake Rolexes were all the rage. Every time I'd walk past some bored-looking guy selling fake Rolexes on the street, he'd light up like a Christmas tree at the sight of me, and insist on showing me his fake inventory super insistently. I could be walking with a group of four or five friends of roughly the same age and appearance, but the fake Rolex guy would always come right to me. For whatever reason, I clearly fit the profile of a Western guy who would love nothing better than to buy a fake Rolex.

For the record, I wear a cheap/indestructible Citizen dive watch that cost me less than $100. I don't wear Rolexes, fake or otherwise. If I inherited a real Rolex, I'd sell it in a New York minute, and use the money for a week's diving in the Red Sea.

I'm a bit of a watch enthusiast myself. I noticed on one of my trips the captain was wearing an Omega Seamaster. It was just beat up from use. His philosophy was a "watch is meant to be worn". While I respect his sentiment, I can't help thinking if your going to beat a watch up, why not use an inexpesive but proven Seiko, Casio, or Citizen? By the way, I don't wear a watch diving, It's just another piece of kit to keep track of.

By the way, I don't wear a watch diving, It's just another piece of kit to keep track of.

above the wrist, below the elbow, it follows me everywhere I go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom