Is a Computer essential kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@mac64's point is very valid. You absolutely don’t need a computer— nor even a depth gauge or timer for every dive.

If diving shallow it’s your gas supply that controls the dive. If diving in a cold lake it’s your temperature that controls it.

Most would dive with a computer if only to log the dive. Tables are way too much faff compared to a computer's real time calculations.

Not sure what you mean by second guessing at 80’ but if you wish to use a computer that’s your business. I’ve never had a need for one. When someone tells me I need something I always wonder what they’re selling. Especially when they say I’m going to be safer.
Yes, I understand what you're saying. For you and some others who have been doing this a long time and have the discipline and knowledge to plan and execute a tables dive that's fine. But I see no downside for those of us looking for the convenience and precision and flexibility that a computer provides.

No you’re not, silly statement to make:
Not silly at all - I’ve been to numerous places where boat diving was the only way to dive and using a computer (your own or rented) was mandatory - so, the FACT is that you’d be sitting on shore while I was out enjoying fantastic diving - simple as that.

Yes, I understand what you're saying. For you and some others who have been doing this a long time and have the discipline and knowledge to plan and execute a tables dive that's fine. But I see no downside for those of us looking for the convenience and precision and flexibility that a computer provides.
Absolutely no problem with people choosing to use a computer. Personally I enjoy planning my dives,

Not silly at all - I’ve been to numerous places where boat diving was the only way to dive and using a computer (your own or rented) was mandatory - so, the FACT is that you’d be sitting on shore while I was out enjoying fantastic diving - simple as that.
Next time look around and see is the boat your on the only one. I’ve spent a lifetime at sea,

images.jpeg

Guess who

OK, OK, you and Mac and the rest of the historical society(that contest took place back in 46), keep on carrying the torch. Just don't come at me with the superior warmth and fidelity of vinyl or you're gonna get an OK Boomer.

Yes! Or no but why not, it makes diving easier but I’m new at this diving stuff only having started in ‘71, enjoy the dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom