Is a Computer essential kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It does help in multi dive scenarios yet the computer can’t help someone who wants to screw up, another tool, like a pressure gauge, it has the information but the human makes the decisions.
I have nothing against computers, they just don’t suit me, a friend gave me the one in the photo but I never used it, I have a few working dives to do and I might stick it in a pocket to see what it says, can’t really wear it. It would get in my way and be in bits in no time.

Attachments

• 9ABAFC6A-A652-4155-91D6-D8A845699C53.jpeg
    9ABAFC6A-A652-4155-91D6-D8A845699C53.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 42
it’s the same human using the computer as the tables . If he can make a mistake with tables he can make a mistake with a computer
Hopefully we can agree there are more opportunities to make errors with a table approach, especially in a repetitive dive planning scenario. I'll grant the odds of one mistake may be the same (as you said), so the odds of not making any errors throughout the entire process are therefore better with a computer.

Hopefully we can agree there are more opportunities to make errors with a table approach, especially in a repetitive dive planning scenario. I'll grant the odds of one mistake may be the same (as you said), so the odds of not making any errors throughout the entire process are therefore better with a computer.
When I plan dives on paper if the run times look wrong it’s very obvious. Maybe the penalty is wrong or surface credit but the run time will be out. Obviously you can do the same thing with a computer. I wouldn’t blindly follow a computer either. That’s just me, force of habit.

This thread started off with the OP asking a very legitimate question especially since it is in the Basic Scuba category.

It has, however devolved into little more value than watching two five year olds arguing.

"Can not!"
"Can so!"
"Can not!"
"Can so!"

Folks, it is OK to have different opinions. Neither of you is going to change the other's mind.

Exactly the same dive. The only difference is one is a square profile using tables and the other using a computer.
Aside from air capacity a diver can almost always get more diving time with a PDC than without one, if changing depth is possible during the dive. At the same depth for the duration of the dive then there isn't a big difference; for a dive like that using a single tank my only use for a PDC would be as depth gauge and thermometer.

Does any of this sound essential?

Aside from air capacity a diver can almost always get more diving time with a PDC than without one, if changing depth is possible during the dive. At the same depth for the duration of the dive then there isn't a big difference; for a dive like that using a single tank my only use for a PDC would be as depth gauge and thermometer.

Does any of this sound essential?

As I previously stated, its' not essential.

It's a matter of convenience, and cost. Basic PDC's are dirt cheap. There is a positive benefit if you are doing multiple dives over consecutive days. If you are doing a live aboard, then you are loosing dive time, the minimal expense is easily paid back by time in the water.

One other point, I don't know what the protocols are in the USA. But in the UK, the dive computer goes with the casualty (backed up by a paper copy of the dive log, and the treatment log), the data may change the treatment protocol.

This thread started off with the OP asking a very legitimate question especially since it is in the Basic Scuba category.

It has, however devolved into little more value than watching two five year olds arguing.

"Can not!"
"Can so!"
"Can not!"
"Can so!"

Folks, it is OK to have different opinions. Neither of you is going to change the other's mind.
We are all bored stiffness because of Covid!

What do you mean?
If you have a diving related injury.
You go on O2, we start a treatment and symptom log.

Transfer the data from the diving logs for the trip to a casualty copy. All the paperwork and the NOK details and dive computer go with the casualty. It doesn't matter if you are air lift, transferred to the RNLI, picked up at the dock by ambulance or a walk in, everything goes with the casualty.

The chamber will do a casualty assessment, review the treatment log and determine how they are going to treat you. This may be modified once they've looked at the dive profiles. The computer data is generally more accurate than casualty recollection.

One other point, I don't know what the protocols are in the USA. But in the UK, the dive computer goes with the casualty (backed up by a paper copy of the dive log, and the treatment log), the data may change the treatment protocol.
Brilliant, that is the best argument I’ve heard for using a computer as it will log a runaway dive or any breaches of the plan. An exact record of the assent.

Back
Top Bottom