"Is a BP/W too confusing for new divers?" and related topics...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm simply having trouble visualizing a body type in AL63 and aluminum BP that wouldn't go up if they took a deep breath... Maybe a 230 pound linebacker with 1% body fat?
Many divers would have difficulty especially at the beginning of the dive. They would be at least 4 pounds over - weight at the start ( 2 lbs. due to tank -AL63, 2 lbs. - AL-BP ). Also, smaller divers with smaller lungs are not able to go up with a deep breath until they add air to their B.C.

The point is why add the extra weight when it is not needed!

To the OP, you seem to be doing a damn good job. Keep it up.

I was just cross-posting some pics that Wayne had shared on FB. Credit goes to him, his brother Jason Fisch, their parents George and Syd, and the rest of the Scuba Connection instructors like Sean Martini.

PS - if I'm lucky, Sean won't post any of the video he shot of my tech course with Wayne. I think Sean captured me "dying" on no fewer than three separate occasions. On one of the video clips you can clearly hear him laughing underwater. (It was not one of my best dives...)

They would have hard time to hire bc from now on!
Most operators in SE Asia would NOT have BP/W for rental. And even those who cater tec divers probably would not be able to supply rec wing.
I could be wrong.

So what is the most important aspect in learning scuba diving?
Equipment, course structure, instructor, students themselves etc.? Or combination of everything.
As far as I am concern, both BP/W and jacket are nothing more than just a tool. For recreational diving I really do not see any significant differences.

Last edited:
They would have hard time to hire bc from now on!
Most operators in SE Asia would NOT have BP/W for rental. And even those who cater tec divers probably would not be able to supply rec wing.
I could be wrong.

So what is the most important aspect in learning scuba diving?
Equipment, course structure, instructor, students themselves etc.? Or combination of everything.
As far as I am concern, both BP/W and jacket are nothing more than just a tool. For recreational diving I really do not see any significant differences.

I'd say a caring, skilled instructor and a diligent, motivated student are the two most important things. Everything else is gravy.

BP/W and jacket ......For recreational diving I really do not see any significant differences.

Only if either can fit you properly...... The BP/W, based on the simple continuous webbing (or other variants) is much more adaptable to different body shapes than the jacket. Better fit equates to stability, and that is a significant benefit.

I'd say a caring, skilled instructor and a diligent, motivated student are the two most important things. Everything else is gravy.

Yeah, but gravy is important! I found that out on Thanksgiving...

:)

It's great to see a new student looking like that!!

My instructor taught us in his BP/Wing and let us try it ...nobody was "confused" or had any issues at any time.
I promptly bought a BP/Wing a few months later as my first rig.

One of the biggest positives on a BP/Wing setup was the crotch strap. I liked that I could dive straight down vertically without worrying about a jacket sliding up on me, or holding vertical down position to photograph something on the bottom without the tank moving around. That crotchstrap just keeps the whole tank/rig firmly on you at all times... making for a much more stable dive IMO.

His console is on a retractor which presumably is a fixed length that pivots around the snap attaching the rig to a D ring. On seeing comments such as this -1 comment, I find myself wondering, as a new diver, how else one is expected to attach a console that would meet with approval?

SS swivel snap and a THIN ziptie (or cave line, both can be cut easily) is what we use (costs a whopping couple bucks at any dive shop, home depot/lowes, etc)
Clip it to your chest d-ring for full time view, or clip it back out of the way to your waist d-ring for a more streamlined setup.
Simple, east and cheap.

Actually, we supply 3mm suits for our pool sessions since the water is around 84 degrees and the sessions are 3 hours - time in the water about 2.5 hours. Almost all of our students do need weight for the pool sessions.

However, our Open Water dives take place in a natural fresh water hot spring, water temp. 90 degrees. No wet suit needed. We use AL50, AL63 & AL80. Many students don't need any weight. Colorado is a very fit state, especially where we live.

Ok that makes sense. Who would have thought in a few months the checkout water temp in CO would be 40 degrees warmer than central TX??

Here it's usually no weight or maybe a couple lbs in the pool (heated to around 90), then they're in a 5mm or 7mm for checkouts heh

Ok that makes sense. Who would have thought in a few months the checkout water temp in CO would be 40 degrees warmer than central TX??

Actually, I think he is referring to crossing the border into Utah and diving in Homestead Crater. It is--what's the right word?--a unique experience.

Agreed.
BP/W or jacket won't make any difference to the end product. They are secondary.
A careless frog kick will cause as much damage to the reef as a bicycle kick.
Properly prepared gravy adds sparkle to the dish. And those come in a pack is awful.

Back
Top Bottom