Is it common for experienced friends/family to accompany new OW divers who are traveling together?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always made it clear to certified family/friends that I was in charge and if at any time, they decided to "help" the student the lesson was over. And they were not permitted back until the last pool session. This included kids. The parent would have to be present for all classroom and pool, but they would not be allowed in the water unless asked.
That said, I insisted that if they were going to be diving with the student after the class, that they did get in the water for the last pool session and were the divers buddy on all checkout dives once I determined they were not going to be a danger to them!
One guy, after seeing what I taught his girlfriend when he attended that last pool session, insisted on coming in for a private pool session before the OW checkouts. He realized that his own training sucked and his GF, who had not been on one open water dive, had better skills than he did.
If you are going to do this, I would recommend paying extra and getting a private instructor who will allow you to be your GF's buddy to do the checkouts.
Do not go with a group.
Make the arrangements ahead of time and let them know what you want to do.
This way you will not run up against ratios and you will not have to deal with other students who may take up more time than is necessary.
And I could tell in the first 5 minutes whether or not the parent, spouse, friend, etc. was going to be a problem. Any good instructor can.
^^^THIS^^^
I accompanied my wife on her OW dives (this was before I was an instructor) and the instructor had a chat with me before we went in, as did my wife. It was clearly understood what my role was.

I am also in the camp of leave them alone for the skills training and then see if you can be on same boat for open water dives (not necessarily in same group ). The point of this is what maximizes her chances of a smooth certification (not what you prefer or even what the instructor will allow )

Very few people learn better with an audience. They want to be able to make mistakes and ask questions (possibly stupid) of the instructor in private without someone watching their every move. Unless you truly think your partner is an exception to the rule (and somehow your presence will de-stress her ), just give them plenty of space on the “confined water “ skills. Have a drink at the bar and read a book. Give her support when you hand her over to the instructor and a welcome smile on her return to shore

My sister went diving while I was trained.

We went on a couple dives afterwards.

If I were you, I'd just chill nearby with a drink in my hand, and stay out of it.

My sister went diving while I was trained.

We went on a couple dives afterwards.

If I were you, I'd just chill nearby with a drink in my hand, and stay out of it.
When our 13 year old (at the time) daughter did her OW cert dives in Lake Travis near Austin, her mom and I stood on the shoreline and (somewhat nervously) watched her and her instructor's bubbles.

When our 13 year old (at the time) daughter did her OW cert dives in Lake Travis near Austin, her mom and I stood on the shoreline and (somewhat nervously) watched her and her instructor's bubbles.
Oh man when I was a teenager I definitely would have banned my parents from participation! There's a reason it's way less stressful to learn to drive a car with an instructor than it is with your mom or dad!

I'm gonna leave it up to my girlfriend and the dive op, but mostly so far we just think it would be nice to be able to share in the experience in whatever way makes sense and is safe, perhaps tagging along as a distant "buddy" for the open water /check out portion. We are lucky to be a couple that doesn't really get on each other's nerves in stressful situations, and I'm happy to be in the water pretty much anywhere for any reason. I already know that she learns new skills differently than I do, and interfering would not help.

I value a great educational experience above all else, and feeling comfortable, calm and independent is such an important part of setting yourself up to love diving! If she kicks me out, I'm happy to go out on a dive (oh noooo, boooo, I have to go diving! lol). If not, I think it would be so much fun to get to see her succeed at a new skill and get to talk about it on the boat after.

I am also in the camp of leave them alone for the skills training and then see if you can be on same boat for open water dives (not necessarily in same group ). The point of this is what maximizes her chances of a smooth certification (not what you prefer or even what the instructor will allow )

Very few people learn better with an audience. They want to be able to make mistakes and ask questions (possibly stupid) of the instructor in private without someone watching their every move. Unless you truly think your partner is an exception to the rule (and somehow your presence will de-stress her ), just give them plenty of space on the “confined water “ skills. Have a drink at the bar and read a book. Give her support when you hand her over to the instructor and a welcome smile on her return to shore
Totally agree. I think this is the move. Audience = pressure.

I went on my wife's OW dives with no problem...we had a blast. Nobody had "a talk" with me...in fact I was invited. It was in the Keys. Just don't act like a "Little League baseball parent," and you'll be fine as long as the shop/instructor is ok with it. Have a nice trip and make it part of your adventure. Have fun with it. :)

My experience with Aldora Dive operation with an Open water newbee friend is once they have completed the confined water, 1st day, they are on the boat with you(if you want) for the next 2 days. They will go on the easy dive boat (Aldora has 7 boats), 60' max, so you will be restricted. They will jump in water with private DI (usually only one or two are in the class). You will go with another DM (same site) and other recent certified or more inexperienced divers or chill divers (those who like the top of the reef). You will stay with your DM and group (Aldora limits the divers to 6 or 7 plus DM and DI). You will probably see (ONLY after they perform there skills) them usually sometime during the dive after they finished there skills check, but may only be brief since they consume alot of air. It will be more of, hey look at me i am diving! They will go up with there DI, you stay with your DM and buddy (maybe one and the same). You go up with your DM. You SI together and repeat.

You need to ask your Dive Op how they handle training. Different Dive Ops do different things. This has been my experience with my dive op (Aldora). It is best of both because it takes pressure off the newbee while spending time with them on boat ride, SI and a little bit underwater for the 2 days of Open water diving they must perform.

I would stay away from the training. If all goes well they come away with the "I did it on my own" pride. If it goes at all sideways it's going to be your fault, any where from "you made me nervous" to "I can't believe you let that expletive try to drown me while you sat by and watched"

Also, plus one on the get the pool work done before the trip. Would suck to get there and find breathing thru a reg was not for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom