Is 5mm wetsuit too much for 80-86 degrees?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HNITSUJ

Contributor
Reaction score
Gonna be doing some diving in bermuda in two weeks. All we have is 5mm suits or drysuits. Obviously the drysuit is out. I understand I may be a tad warm on the boat but once I hit the water, I should be fine? What do ya think?

It's easier to get cool than to get warm.

My girlfiend dives in 3/2mm full wet, plus a 5mm hooded vest, fleece lined lycra and polar booties...in Coz, Roatan and Bonaire. We all have different tolerances when it comes to cold.

You'll be fine.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

I was wearing a 5 mil in 70 degree (at the surface) water yesterday and became so uncomfortable waiting for the entire group to get in the water that I took a buddy with me to the bottom to wait for the rest of the gang. The bottom was a much more pleasant 55 degrees.

When I was in Belize in January the water was in the 80s and I had on a 2mil shorty. By the third and final dive each day, I was just barely starting to feel cold. I would have cooked in a thicker suit and been a little chilled with no suit (assuming repetitve dives).

You could pick up a 2mil shorty from SCUBA.com for less than $50 and get it delivered in plenty of time for your trip.

Have fun on your vacation!

Everybody's different, but I think a lot of people would be a little warm in that.

given the choice between 5 mm and a tee shirt I would take the shirt. I agree with buying a cheap 2/3 shorty.

Dave Zimmerly:
It's easier to get cool than to get warm...

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Granted that the original poster got what he needed, I thought I would chime in with the personal observation that overheated distracts me much more than chilling, and distraction ain't good.

I was in a 6mm Farmer John (12mm core) at 80 deg on the surface early last autumn. Besides the weird-feeling trickles of sweat, which were distracting enough, I felt more and more irritated and bothered by EVERYthing, and EVERYthing was suddenly too heavy and constricting. Consequently, I forgot to top off my BC for the surface float for our last chat before descending, so I was kicking harder than I should, which added to the overheating, which added to my bother...I couldn't get focused on the dive plan until I splashed back to the ladder and flooded my wetsuit.

OTOH, while cold is probably more dangerous in the long run, it at least isolates one's focus to a single physical sensation, which for me is easier to deal with.

My two centavos.

I think it would be a bt hot. Not necessarly on the bottom but the boat would be miserable. I have a 3mm suit for travel and its great. Very comfortable at 78-82 degree botoom temps and its ot that bad when you are topside.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom