is 3mm enough.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblemonkey

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hello
going to be doing a fair amount of diving over the next three years most of it will be in the tropics.

all of the dives i have done so far have been above 25 degs c and as i was fun diving never bothered with a wet suit as i dont get cold very easily.

my question is do you think that a 3mm wetsuit will be ok for 20-25 degs?

thanks

I'm also fairly warm blooded but when it gets around 70F (21C) I need the 5mm, especially if I am doing multiple dives. 5mm may be a bit warm for 75 - 77F (24-25C) but better to be a little warm and unzip a bit, than to be cold.

You may be comfortable in it for a single dive, but there is a good possibility that with repetitive dives you may get chilly.

Thermal protection is so terribly subjective.

At those temps and repetitive dives I'd recommend a 5mm.

But that's just me and I base my recommendation upon my requirements.

Get a 3mm and take a 2mm hooded vest.

the K

It's a question of personnal tolerance but I know a 3mm would be more than enough for me in tropical waters (over 70 deg). But as the K wrote, it is terribly subjective. When you live south, you get used to warm temperatures and less tolerant to cold. When you live up North, you go to Florida during winter and go swimming while floridians walk the beach with winter jackets and long pants on. So if you plan a long stay in the tropics (like months), you might consider thicker suits.

For those of us who are metric challenged: 20-25 deg C = 68 - 77deg F ;-)

This kind of depends on your personal tolerance for cold and the length of the exposure. Remember that water is a much better heat conductor compared to air (approx 20X). So, even in seemingly warm water, you can start to feel chilled after a while.

Based on my own personal experience, I know that I would start to feel chilled at the lower end of your temp range in a straight 3mm suit; especially on repetitive dives. If I thought that I'd be routinely diving temps at the lower end of your range, I might consider either a 2 piece 3mm or a 5/3mm one-piece ... but that's me.

It takes a lot for me to get cold but I wouldn't comfortably do consequtive dives in a 3mm under 24 degrees C.

- But why not just get an outer piece with a hood for the cold days. 3mm dont take up much space.

above 28 C or so, in a 5mm, I tend to overheat - especially since if the water is that warm - the air probably is too.

I'm from New England and can't imagine more than a 3 mm for 22+ deg c. To give yourself some flexability you should try layering.

I'm also from New England and at 20-25 degrees C, I think I'd be considering a 5mm rather than a 3mm, particularly if I were looking at multiple dives.

Here in southern New England, we can hit 20 degrees C in the middle of summer and I still dive in my 7mm farmer jane, but generally without a hood - and am very comfortable. I've never considered going to my 3mm for those kinds of temperatures..and I'm someone who's comfortable in my 7mm wetsuit down to 50 degrees F (10 degrees C).

I would recommend a minimum of a 5mm for the 20 degrees C range. I personally dive in an area where the temperature is around 8 to 13 degrees C so I am fairly used to the cold water. I also do some long distance sea swimming in these temperatures without a wetsuit so would say I don't really get cold.

I did however find diving in the 20 degree range in my 4mm wetsuit rather unpleasant, bearable but still cold. Ended up switching to my 7mm as my only option was the 4mm or the 7mm. Rather be warm than cold.

cheers guys thats been really helpfull.

think i will go for the 3mm and go for the 2mm hood thing for if i get cold.

thanks again

Back
Top Bottom