IOP pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geoff_H

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Some photos from IOP today - a balmy 20 degrees air and water temperature made for some nice diving.

Seems a a lot of other people spotted the weather forecast since the 5.5 hour drive back took us all by surprise!

First up was a little cuttlefish doing something odd... he was sheltering from the surge with a little friend (fair enough) but I was surprised to see him sitting in the sand, colours oscillating and using his "skirt" to stir up the sand. No idea what he could have been doing?
cuttlefish7.jpg

Then, because I love cute things we have a cowfish, a baby lionfish and some flutefish who were thiriving in the strong surge

cowfish3.jpg
baby_lionfish.jpg
flutefish.jpg

There were a few of this ku-e around, lording it over divers.. what is the English name? A type of bumphead parrotfish or not?

beast.jpg

Slightly less at home in the surge were our diving buddies, here is Antoine demonstrating correct line clutching technique... plus the exit where the breaker was so strong it managed to *snap* my camera strap... fortunately I retrieved the housing ok.

antoine.jpg
entry1.jpg

Finally we saw a Japanese Angel shark, some nice lunch and something else.... any clues??? Some kind of urchin? The little white tentacles were moving around as if searching for food.

japanese_angel_shark.jpg
lunch1.jpg
nani.jpg

A few more...

You've got mail!

you_ve_got_mail.jpg

Small fry

fy.jpg

Dude where's my reef?

dude_where_s_my_reef.jpg

The shrimp and the dragon

the_shrimp_and_the_dragon.jpg

Nice, Shots!!

Looks like entry/exit was a little rough (last weekend at IOP the ocean just spat me out!) - I was in Atami and it wasn't so bad. Great weather though!

Oh and I was just as confused by how busy the roads were and there were so many people in Atami that saturday night we couldn't get into a bar!! (ended up have some irish coffees down by the beach) When I got home I looked at my calender and then it all made sense. Saturday was 'culture day', a holiday - so probably a lot of folks getting a day off and heading out!

... and it was nice weather! It took us about two hours to go back from Atami to Yokohama of which 45 minutes was spent around Atsugi :shakehead:

Keep it now a secret from where we got the 200 yen Irish coffees!

... and it was nice weather! It took us about two hours to go back from Atami to Yokohama of which 45 minutes was spent around Atsugi :shakehead:

After our six hour odysessy I can't raise much sympathy for your 2 hour quick trip :)

I will probably go to Atami next week - which sites did you dive? Any differences in viz between the wreck and the other sites? Or were you deep and dark tech diving where I wouldn't be able to follow?

Atami was all good at recreational depths (I was teaching a wreck class). Even the beach was excellent with lots of fishes! You know you can check the highway conditions before you leave Izu on your cellphone?!

My wife and I realized it would take some time to Tokyo and enjoyed a nice curry dinner before heading back. May see you in Atami next Sunday as we probably will be there.

Those are nice pictures. It's interesting seeing the different species of fish in the pics. Quite a few are similar to the ones down here, but some definitely have different variations - particularly that lionfish. Neat stuff!

The dives look fantastic, but you can keep the entry and exit. I'm getting to old for that kind of thing. Great pictures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom