Invasion II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Becky We all Thank You from the bottoms and tops of our Hearts.

Today I am sorting the pictures of all the parties and at least some of the Dives I was fortunate enough to be on.

Pirate !! How much to Hide the severly damaging pics of the C.S. Crew doing the Hulk Hogan take down on your tail ?? :eyebrow: :rofl3:

Hope to have thses done tonight.

For two days now, I've been trying to think of what to post here. All I can do is echo everyone's sentiments above. If I try to thank the people who made this trip incredibly special to me, I'll accidentally leave someone out so I'm not going to even try. THANK YOU ONE AND ALL!!!

This was my first ScubaBoard event beyond a few simple beach dives, and I came alone, and I really didn't know what to expect. The weekend totally exceeded my expectations. It was fun, it was safe, it was adventurous, it was somewhat exhausting, and it was totally AWESOME!

It was wonderful to finally meet some incredibly nice people who I'd only previously known via the computer, and nice to hang with some other incredibly nice people who I've dived with before and get to know them better. The people of ScubaBoard really rock.

So, what is the date of the 2008 Invasion? :crafty:

Second week in July.. tenatively.

I'd like to pass on an incident involving spear fishing! On Sunday, 15-July-2007, during a morning dive on the Duane in Key Largo, Florida with 20 Advanced Certified Divers an incident occurred. Among the divers were some that have never dove the Duane and several teenagers with their father. As for me, I've been diving for over 10 years, AOW and NITROX, @ 1,000 dives and a few dozen on the Duane, do not spear, but respect the rights of those that do!

We were part of a larger group of Experienced Advanced Divers down for a weekend of Deep Wreck and Reef dives. On this particular dive, we were hot dropped on the bow of the Duane with a pickup due on the stern either by tie on or free float to the boat. Approximately 3/4 the way through the dive, most divers were assembling towards the stern of the Duane. At this time, I noticed a group of spear fishing divers all together on the starboard side and the end of the superstructure. One had some fish on a loop and I wanted to get as far away from him as possible as there were numerous cuda and a few sharks in the area. One spear fishing diver in particular, he had a mustache as could be seen through his mask, was attempting to load his gun's bands. The other divers in his group were watching him. The problem was he was aiming the gun directly towards me. He was then waving it around pointing it towards the other dives in our group. He was on the side of the wreck aiming his gun towards the inside of the wreck instead of towards the open sea. I tried for several minutes to communicate with him and his fellow divers for him to aim his gun towards the open sea. He did not understand and spent a lot of time trying to load his gun, all this time it was waving towards our dive group! We all were awaiting a spear release at this time. There was not much we could do except head for the stern up rope.

The spear fishing divers started to head for the bow of the ship. If they headed for the stern up rope, I was going to go up the amidships rope. As our group all gathered around the stern line and started up, the spear fishing group also decided to go up the stern line. The problem now was there were at least two and possibly a third diver that had their guns LOADED and aiming up - towards our group of 10 - 15 divers doing their ascent. Again, I tried to communicate with one of these loaded gun divers to have him unload his bands. He did not understand and kept the gun aimed up - towards our group. After a few minutes of showing him one of his buddies unloaded gun, he still would not unload his gun. It was a forever hang at 50 and 20 ft. The group finally passed us up and left the area.

When I got back on the boat, the rest of the group had already briefed our Capt. His comment was it is legal to spear on the Duane and this diver can aim his gun at anyone. Only if goes off and hits someone else can we take action. The boat was identified as the Orian from the Florida Keys Dive Centers. I was informed that there was an Instructor on board, probably teaching the group how to spear fish.

I resent deeply the total incompetence of these divers, the instructor on board and the dive shop sponsoring such action. Although there may be nothing that I can do to prevent further such actions, I can spread the story out to the many divers that I communicate with. I'm sure there are some spear-O's that will use this to keep going to such an operation. I would never recommend this operation and would pass on this episode to those that desire to associate with them..

For the 99% of the spear fishing divers that would not ever do such actions, I apologize for bashing out on this. As a non-spear fishing diver, but respecting your freedom to do so, I would ask that you police the people that you deal with so that hopefully this episode will never happen again. Actions like these are what cause innocent divers to get hurt or killed!

FlIrishman:
Actions like these are what cause innocent divers to get hurt or killed!
Let me share a moment, I was also on the Duane this dive (Great Wreck BTW)
I had a three buddy dive team and we fully enjoyed expolring the swim thrus of the Duane. Irish had said topside peek over now and again you will be rewarded with some special sites. We where about mid-ship when one of my Buddys decided to peek over, so he goes to the rail and slowly looks of the side ... I was laughing thinking he is afraid a big shark is gonna be there and grab him lol. Then I turn to check out the diver next to him ... this was a young man possibly 19 or 20 then I notice he has a speargun. Not only did he have it but he was peeking over the side as well and his speargun was drifting back in forth to his right side pointing directly and MY buddy peeking over the side ... just as the gun comes to a complete stop (about 3 inches from my dive buddys kidney I also reliaze that this kid has his finger on the triger. So I drift towards the kids and gently take both of my hands and kinda shew the kids gun away from my friend looked at the kid said :no and then asked ok? he said ok and swam away ... my dive buddy never knew it happened.
Kim P

This is my first attempt so dont laugh too Hard ! :)

Click on the Photo and cross your fingers :rofl3:

Very good! Looks like you got some nice shots of everybody! :thumb:

Great party pictures!!! Thanks for sharing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom