Question Intro to Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pools are OK for very basic practice, but they're not great because of the shallow depth and warmth, meaning you can't easily use an exposure suit.

Shore diving's extremely dependent on geography and weather. This is where lakes and quarries come into their own.

Why the pool? Nothing can be achieved in the pool unless you're a novice diver or you are preparing to dive freshwater for the first time. I would suggest a shore dive for those contemplating using doubles for the first time to hone in their skills, trim, and buoyancy.
You're an idiot and clearly trolling. This response isn't for you, it's for anyone who's interested in technical diving and may be reading this genuinely trying to learn.

A lot can be achieved in the pool.

Let's start with basic gear config:
- The placement of the bands on doubles
- The choice of which holes to use on a BP/W
- Choice of cylinders (my buddy went from HP100 to LP85 as it was more appropriate for him)
- Adjustment of the isolation manifold so that it's comfortable to get to
- Testing different types of fins
- Testing differences in config between wetsuit/drysuit
- Testing different hose routing configurations
- Testing weight placement (if applicable)
- Move D-rings for access/comfort

Next, there are the skills:
- It's easier to initially learn and practice the various drills in a static environment
- Work on/test kicks
- Test buoyancy without being able to see

There are so many iterations one can go through in the pool in a short amount of time. The pool offers a confined environment and allows for support from the surface (e.g. assistant, lifeguard, another diver, etc). In case of issues it's easier to get emergency support and so on. To be clear, a pool isn't necessary for all of the above, but it accelerates the process prior to going into a dynamic, unrestricted environment.

P.S. A friend visited me a couple of weeks ago to do some ocean diving (his CCR experience was in springs/caves). He installed a stand on his CCR for boat diving and made other weight changes that he wanted to test via a shore dive. The following problems occurred, that made us wish we just started in the pool instead:
1. Waiting for convenient parking
2. Heat buildup (for proper testing he had to wear his drysuit)
3. Exertion carrying all the gear from the car to the ocean (AL72 bailout gets heavy after a hundred yards with the rest of the gear on you)
4. Sand on all the gear
5. The waves/surge were violent, causing him to accidentally drop his mask while we were attaching his bailout bottle. Due to all the crap in the water (and the wave action) we were unable to find the mask. This aborted the test dive
6. Even if we would have continued, we'd need to be additionally task loaded with an SMB or dive flag (that was my job as support), paying attention to the current flow (so we don't get dragged out into open ocean) and anything else.

So, yes.... pool or equivalent is a great place to test a brand new configuration or to practice skills, especially for someone who's newer to the process (e.g. considering taking Intro to Tech).

You're an idiot and clearly trolling. This response isn't for you, it's for anyone who's interested in technical diving and may be reading this genuinely trying to learn.

- Choice of cylinders (my buddy went from HP100 to LP85 as it was more appropriate for him)

- It's easier to initially learn and practice the various drills in a static environment
- Work on/test kicks

There are so many iterations one can go through in the pool in a short amount of time. The pool offers a confined environment and allows for support from the surface (e.g. assistant, lifeguard, another diver, etc). In case of issues it's easier to get emergency support and so on. To be clear, a pool isn't necessary for all of the above, but it accelerates the process prior to going into a dynamic, unrestricted environment.

P.S. A friend visited me a couple of weeks ago to do some ocean diving (his CCR experience was in springs/caves). He installed a stand on his CCR for boat diving and made other weight changes that he wanted to test via a shore dive. The following problems occurred, that made us wish we just started in the pool instead:
3. Exertion carrying all the gear from the car to the ocean (AL72 bailout gets heavy after a hundred yards with the rest of the gear on you)
4. Sand on all the gear
5. The waves/surge were violent, causing him to accidentally drop his mask while we were attaching his bailout bottle. Due to all the crap in the water (and the wave action) we were unable to find the mask. This aborted the test dive
6. Even if we would have continued, we'd need to be additionally task loaded with an SMB or dive flag (that was my job as support), paying attention to the current flow (so we don't get dragged out into open ocean) and anything else.

So, yes.... pool or equivalent is a great place to test a brand new configuration or to practice skills, especially for someone who's newer to the process (e.g. considering taking Intro to Tech).
My Technical Instructor Trainer is Steve Lewis. He told me numerous times during our dives together that an hour in the pool can be as good as 3 in open water for some things. All of which you noted. Alaskan Scuba Dude does nothing but troll and spew garbage advice. He's been reported so many times it's not funny but he's still here vomiting crap that is going to get someone killed. And hiding behind a fake name because a decent and ethical dive pro doesn't need to hide his identity. The ones that do are not worth listening to.

- Work on/test kicks

4. Sand on all the gear

I needed pool time just to switch from a jacket to BPW. Adjusting the fit and all that was a pain in the butt, buoyancy was different as I used a different tank. 7mil wetsuit rather than 5, plus a hooded vest. Yeah, if the first time I tried that was in open water, it wouldn't have been a very fun experience...took about an hour and a half just for fitting.

I needed pool time just to switch from a jacket to BPW. Adjusting the fit and all that was a pain in the butt, buoyancy was different as I used a different tank. 7mil wetsuit rather than 5, plus a hooded vest. Yeah, if the first time I tried that was in open water, it wouldn't have been a very fun experience...took about an hour and a half just for fitting.
Me, too! I was a god in my old jacket BC after 10+ years of diving, but switching to a BP/W messed with my buoyancy, trim, and overall control--I was a mess. After not passing GUE Fundies the first time around because of those deficiencies, my wife and I would meet at a local dive shop's pool (a nicely deep pool) on our lunch hours. We spent a total of about 10 hours on the bottom of that pool, mostly just trying to stay still in one spot. Then we went back and completed Fundies. Staying motionless is one of the hardest skills to master, and I think it's a good skill to master for tech, certainly for cave.

i've gotten a lot out of the pool. It is simple to go down without exposure protection then add it once I got used to the doubles. With it being shallow, you have to be more accurate otherwise your depth changes quickly. Basically I found better, quicker feedback along with air lasting more than my patience. If I went on a boat dive then I would get a fraction of that time to practice and am not sure at 80-120' in the cool Atlantic is where you want to experiment.

Me, too! I was a god in my old jacket BC after 10+ years of diving, but switching to a BP/W messed with my buoyancy, trim, and overall control--I was a mess. After not passing GUE Fundies the first time around because of those deficiencies, my wife and I would meet at a local dive shop's pool (a nicely deep pool) on our lunch hours. We spent a total of about 10 hours on the bottom of that pool, mostly just trying to stay still in one spot. Then we went back and completed Fundies. Staying motionless is one of the hardest skills to master, and I think it's a good skill to master for tech, certainly for cave.
I felt like I was back in day one confined water training. And yeah, one of my goals is hovering motionless :) it’ll probably come in time

My biggest issue is valve shutdown procedure, even though it’s just switching regulators, breathing the one down I get anxious and move my feet.
And I can’t back fin to save my life.

My biggest issue is valve shutdown procedure, even though it’s just switching regulators, breathing the one down I get anxious and move my feet.
After learning to hover motionless while doing absolutely nothing, we gradually added task loading. We put one of those traffic cones on the bottom of the pool as a reference point, with each of us on opposite sides. The cone was better than simply keeping an eye on the bottom of the pool because it also made us maintain a certain depth a foot or so above the bottom. It's not just about staying in one place but also staying at one depth. We started by passing a small object back and forth across the cone. Maybe a bolt snap, and each time we'd take it from our buddy's hand we'd clip it off on our D-ring, then unclip it and hand it back. When we could do that without drifting away from the cone, we gradually increased the complexity of the tasks, eventually getting to the S-drill and valve drill. Yes, for whatever reason our feet move as if by themselves and conspire to move us off the mark. My Fundies instructor referred to this phenomenon as "happy feet." So I concentrate on keeping the feet still. After the pool work, we moved to a lake to practice the same thing in less than ideal conditions. It took years for us to get good at this kind of exercise. I think this side discussion really does help show there is a lot more to getting into tech than one may appreciate at first.

You can learn to backfin on the surface without any kit using a closed drysuit if that helps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom