Question Intro to Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And don't forget to have fun. :)
In the words of my intro to cave instructor, "We're not here to have fun, we are here to go scuba diving. Shape up."

In the words of my intro to cave instructor, "We're not here to have fun, we are here to go scuba diving. Shape up."
Understood for cave, but for ITT?

And begs the question... what were you doing that had to be "shaped up"?!

But we can still have fun regardless 😂

Type 2 fun 😦

When I was still teaching tech classes, if the student did not have at least 25 dives in doubles or sidemount, an Intro to Tech was mandatory before anything else. I saw a number of people with "great buoyancy and trim" have that go to hell when they put on a new configuration for the first time.

AN/DP IS NOT THE TIME TO TRY DOUBLES OR SIDEMOUNT FOR THE FIRST TIME.

It's a waste of the instructor's time and if there are other students who did do the proper prep prior to the class, it's a good way to piss them off waiting on someone who didn't.

That said, there are Intro to Tech classes not worth taking.
If it's only a quick shoddy class to try a new tech configuration without significant time spent tweaking, adjusting, and giving the student time to practice that can be done as a "Tech Experience" type workshop.

A good Intro to Tech should, IMO, offer two pool sessions in the new gear including a stage bottle, and a weekend (3-4 nice long dives) in open water. Then the student can go away and get another 25 dives in fine-tuning it. And the student should own all the gear. Or if they travel for the class, it's ok to rent cylinders but they should still have their own set at home.

At that point, they should be ready for AN/DP. Even then, if they don't practice what the instructor tells them they should focus on when they show up for AN/DP and it's obvious they didn't, the instructor should send them home with no refund.

A good Intro to Tech with a good instructor will establish a foundation that they can then build on and in the long run, will save money, time, and effort, and make subsequent classes more enjoyable. As well as an easier job for the next instructor.

I always trained my tech students with that in mind. Many of my students went on to much higher certs than I have or went to other instructors because of location. I tried to make sure all of them did not need remedial training. They went prepared and ready for the next class.

Again, since you don't have experience with doubles, I'd take the course. Alternatively, buy all the equipment, dial it in yourself (in the pool and not alone, to start) and put in a bunch of dives to practice.
Why the pool? Nothing can be achieved in the pool unless you're a novice diver or you are preparing to dive freshwater for the first time. I would suggest a shore dive for those contemplating using doubles for the first time to hone in their skills, trim, and buoyancy.

Why the pool? Nothing can be achieved in the pool unless you're a novice diver or you are preparing to dive freshwater for the first time. I would suggest a shore dive for those contemplating using doubles for the first time to hone in their skills, trim, and buoyancy.
What the hell is wrong with you? Lol. A pool is the safest way to test out new gear and configurations.
Eta- you won’t kick anything up and buoyancy issues won’t affect you. That’d be my worry.

Why the pool? Nothing can be achieved in the pool unless you're a novice diver or you are preparing to dive freshwater for the first time.
What a load of drivel!

Not sure if you get fun by spreading misinformation.

You could probably use a pool session to get some diving done 😂

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom