Intova lights and cave diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will be buying myself a pair of Scouts.

Check out the OMS Vegas. I've been using 2 for my backups for prolly 200 dives or so. One of mine has actually been run over by a truck(and the boat it was towing) and came out without a hitch. They are small, aluminum, twist-on, bright, and they look hella cool. They've just released the K-2 Vega which is supposed to be even brighter.

I too own an Intova, and it worked great for 10 or 15 dives. Then the switch got stuck (takes considerable effort to move, even with vigorous cleaning) and the light flickers with brand new batteries. I will be buying myself a pair of Scouts.

Grab yourself a set of Photon-Torpedo LED lights for $147.50 each (plus shipping). I have had a few for several years now and they are indestructible. Double o-ring sealed, twist on/off...dead simple and completely reliable.

I have had a few for several years now and they are indestructible. Double o-ring sealed, twist on/off...dead simple and completely reliable.

And long. Especially compared with the Intovas or Oxycheq Raiders or Salvo Rat, Jr.

Grab yourself a set of Photon-Torpedo LED lights for $147.50 each (plus shipping). I have had a few for several years now and they are indestructible. Double o-ring sealed, twist on/off...dead simple and completely reliable.

You can get two OMS Vega K-2s for that price, with the same features, and non-ridiculous dimensions... and you can safely run over them with a truck... then a boat.

The PT's are big indeed...... but I love mine.:lotsalove:

Ok. The original question was "Does anyone have any experience with the Intova lights?" Obviously I do and you don't. Not a big deal but you are getting way too uptight with this. The question was not, "what are the manufacturers specs?"
You questioned the testing situation and since it is directly related to the question......here goes:

Brand New silver Intova and batteries.
Brand New Raider IV and Batteries
Brand New DR LED 700 upgrade with fully charged battery
Used, but in perfect (oops gonna catch it for this phrase :rofl3:) condition DR adjustable 10w hid

Twin Cave in the Subway (what I believe to be real life conditions)
Myself and another well seasoned cave diver / 20+ year commercial diver
We compared our findings when we surfaced.
We had no dog in the hunt, just comparing some lights.
Since then I have done comparisons (on dives) with other 10w HID fixed, DR 700 LED Intovas, etc and the the findings were pretty much the same.
Oh yeah.......we were both wearing hats that said ENGINEER EXTRORDINAIRE so that should accurately qualify our opinions (that's funny I don't care whoyou are:D)

It really doesn't matter but when a light manufacturer makes promises and statements about what a light will do it doesn't always meet the expectation. How it handles in the real world is the most accurate way to see what works and how it works.

Sorry about the shaky finger and head.....I thought we were all grown ups here that could take a little ribbing. I won't do that anymore to you.

Just curious if you tried signaling with the Intova in back with its 130 lumens and the DR in front with its very wide 700 lumen beam? (I realize in the real world, we would most likely put the guy on the backup light in front and go home). I remember thinking "This is not as bright" switching from a 10W hid to the Intova during class, but I did not really put a lot of thought into it :) I definately did not have the appropriate hat.

You can get two OMS Vega K-2s for that price, with the same features, and non-ridiculous dimensions... and you can safely run over them with a truck... then a boat.

I remember trying your Vegas. I found them far too small for my hands, but I do have large hands. The shape was also somewhat uncomfortable for me.

I prefer the 3-C backups. If I was going to go small, it would be the Rat Jr. or something of similar size.

or 3 xenon scouts!

Just curious if you tried signaling with the Intova in back with its 130 lumens and the DR in front with its very wide 700 lumen beam? (I realize in the real world, we would most likely put the guy on the backup light in front and go home). I remember thinking "This is not as bright" switching from a 10W hid to the Intova during class, but I did not really put a lot of thought into it :) I definately did not have the appropriate hat.

We did not do that. It was just a basic test in brightness. You are right, as far as a light failure and moving that person up front, but I think I will check that next time to see. I am thinking (within 20' or so) it would be bright enough to signal but I will check. It is a back up light and less powerful but I would like to see what it does and how far its punch would be in this case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom