Intova lights and cave diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got one of the Intova's but a different model. Mine is the wide angle model that has more lumens (black instead of silver). Don't use it for cave diving, since I don't do them, but I do use it as my primary, and it works just fine. Used it at 93 feet with no problems. On/off several times white down there. Very happy with it, and for the price it's great.

I have no reason to believe you are not telling the truth and have indeed used and tested these lights in conditions that you believe are real life conditions....all from your perspective. I as well of others have no way of knowing the condition of the lights you tested, the batteries and or your frame of reference as to real life conditions. You also have not idea if I have actually tested these light and or others. Regardless of that your opinion is your own.

I have simply stated that the manufacturer rates the Intova at 4.7 watts and depending if you have a earlier model that one was rated at 3.0 watts. That is the factual information from the manufacturer of the light not an opinion. If they are trying to market the light as being close to a 10 watt HID then I do not think they would give a rating that is less than half that of a HID. Also a rating of less than half of the 10 watt HID is not "close to a 10 watt HID" unless of course as I stated you have a 10 watt HID that is not performing as it should.

The only thing that I might be upset at is your assumption that I directly questioned your statements and responding with a head shaking and finger wiggling post.

This is my last comment on the issue.

John

Ok. The original question was "Does anyone have any experience with the Intova lights?" Obviously I do and you don't. Not a big deal but you are getting way too uptight with this. The question was not, "what are the manufacturers specs?"
You questioned the testing situation and since it is directly related to the question......here goes:

Brand New silver Intova and batteries.
Brand New Raider IV and Batteries
Brand New DR LED 700 upgrade with fully charged battery
Used, but in perfect (oops gonna catch it for this phrase :rofl3:) condition DR adjustable 10w hid

Twin Cave in the Subway (what I believe to be real life conditions)
Myself and another well seasoned cave diver / 20+ year commercial diver
We compared our findings when we surfaced.
We had no dog in the hunt, just comparing some lights.
Since then I have done comparisons (on dives) with other 10w HID fixed, DR 700 LED Intovas, etc and the the findings were pretty much the same.
Oh yeah.......we were both wearing hats that said ENGINEER EXTRORDINAIRE so that should accurately qualify our opinions (that's funny I don't care whoyou are:D)

It really doesn't matter but when a light manufacturer makes promises and statements about what a light will do it doesn't always meet the expectation. How it handles in the real world is the most accurate way to see what works and how it works.

Sorry about the shaky finger and head.....I thought we were all grown ups here that could take a little ribbing. I won't do that anymore to you.

Ok. The original question was "Does anyone have any experience with the Intova lights?" Obviously I do and you don't. Not a big deal but you are getting way too uptight with this. The question was not, "what are the manufacturers specs?"

It really doesn't matter but when a light manufacturer makes promises and statements about what a light will do it doesn't always meet the expectation. How it handles in the real world is the most accurate way to see what works and how it works.

Sorry about the shaky finger and head.....I thought we were all grown ups here that could take a little ribbing. I won't do that anymore to you.

Apology accepted.

Now you owe me another.

I do have experience in that I responded and told the OP that I had one magnetic switch fall out. And by the way I am a dealer of the Intova's and have carried the line from before they started to get popular in diving circles. I have hundreds of hours underwater with the Intova as back-up lights. So your statement that I do not have experience is wrong.

John

Apology accepted.

Now you owe me another.

I do have experience in that I responded and told the OP that I had one magnetic switch fall out. And by the way I am a dealer of the Intova's and have carried the line from before they started to get popular in diving circles. I have hundreds of hours underwater with the Intova as back-up lights. So your statement that I do not have experience is wrong.

John

Well spank me and call me Shirley. Sorry

"There, now we can be friends again" Doc Holiday / Tombstone

Well spank me and call me Shirley. Sorry

That'll be confusing when you're actually diving WITH Shirley... I hope I'm not there to witness anyone spanking you. :mooner:

the original intova led rating is 65 lumens,it has a luxon led chip verses a cree p-4 in the new one,if they would use a newer one it would be about 250 lumens with the same battery draw as the old one,that watt rating is a bunch of horse hockey,it means absolutely nothing,I would bet if you put a multimeter on the new one it would draw about 3 watts,light output is what really matters,it either works or it doesn't I am not really sure why some people are getting so worked up about a dive light,does it really matter that much? There are plenty of other options if intovas don't excite you. .:shocked2:

That'll be confusing when you're actually diving WITH Shirley... I hope I'm not there to witness anyone spanking you. :mooner:

Ditto me that SBM! :rofl3:

And don't call me Shirley! ....O...wait....I am Shirley...nevermind :eyebrow:

I dove with Shirley one time and came thru it just fine. Actually, I enjoyed myself.

John

I too own an Intova, and it worked great for 10 or 15 dives. Then the switch got stuck (takes considerable effort to move, even with vigorous cleaning) and the light flickers with brand new batteries. I will be buying myself a pair of Scouts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom