Intova lights and cave diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using Intovas for a while with no issues. I've heard of the magnetic switch falling out. Hasn't happened to me, but I have inner tube around the switch to prevent it should it want to do that. They work great and are almost as bright as a 10w can light.

I recently had a magnetic switch fall out. This was the first and only problem.

"almost as bright as a 10w can light"......they are a nice backup light but this statement is stretching things unless you need to be getting a brighter 10W can light or replace the bulb.

John

a switch you have to put a rubber band on to make sure it doesn't fall out? lol
doesn't' sound like a great backup light for cave diving

Cave lights don't have switches... Now you know why.
In one form or another, all lights used in caves have switches. There are just pros and cons as to the types of switches used.

I recently had a magnetic switch fall out. This was the first and only problem.

"almost as bright as a 10w can light"......they are a nice backup light but this statement is stretching things unless you need to be getting a brighter 10W can light or replace the bulb.

John

If you are in the open water I can agree with your reply. In smaller caves, the intova is nearly a bright as a 10w hid and we have been using them regularly for this instead of a can light when you don't have to push light a far distance. I have done the tests with the DR 700 LED, Raider IV, Intova narrow beam, and DR 10w HID in Twin Cave. All were pretty close to the same in close proxemity (15 feet or less in clear water) Lights perform differently in water than out of the water. Out of water comparisons are flawed and cannot be used for a true test of light output. An intova in a lightsock is great for smaller tight caves and eliminates the can and cable when you need to tighten your profile up for those places.

...doesn't' sound like a great backup light for cave diving

... and yet several hundred cave divers have never had a problem with them and use them with confidence in cave dives you would only dream about. :wink:

... and yet several hundred cave divers have never had a problem with them and use them with confidence in cave dives you would only dream about. :wink:

good for them.
but several people just posting in here have had problems with the switches. and apparently intova admits there are problems. not sure what I'm missing here?

as far as using them in caves I would only dream about....super?

A few of my dive buddies use them and they are bright in the caves. Nice tight beam, great for signaling, and they put my halogen back-ups to shame. Can't speak to the switch issues, but the output is pretty good.

good for them.
but several people just posting in here have had problems with the switches. and apparently intova admits there are problems. not sure what I'm missing here?

as far as using them in caves I would only dream about....super?

...and several people have posted not having problems at all. There will always be more people happy with the product not posting at all. Intova admitted a problem with a batch and sent out new bits and pieces to make things right, sounds like good customer service.

Caves you'd only dream about... as in, beyond your(or my) limits and far more beautiful than the training caves you visit regularly :wink:

...and several people have posted not having problems at all. There will always be more people happy with the product not posting at all. Intova admitted a problem with a batch and sent out new bits and pieces to make things right, sounds like good customer service.

Caves you'd only dream about... as in, beyond your(or my) limits and far more beautiful than the training caves you visit regularly :wink:

well my point was, using them in cooler caves doesn't make the switch not fall off

Almost all manufacturers have had some issues with mass production equipment, Scubapro, Oceanic, Halcyon (yeah it's true) Dive-Rite, Oxycheck, etc.

As Intova has been doing, most others also make it right. No manufacturer is exempt from these issues. The switches falling out or lights not functioning below a certain depth was not normal, just noticed in a few lights and reported so others would know there is an issue. Part of those issues are to do predive inspections and see if there is an issue. If it is an issue at depth then address that when you get to the surface. These intermittent issues do not take away from the fact that the Intova is a solid light for a back up, and a primary in smaller places.

We all bear the responsibility to check out equipment predive as well as during the dive from time to time. If we don't we can only blame ourselves if things go sideways because we allowed the other rule of thirds to happen. During a dive one problem is managable, two is inconvenient, three means time to call it. If it starts at, or past, three we are in trouble. It is good that we have a place like this for solid information about products. If any of us are waiting for "failproof" perfect gear...........it doesn't exist.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom