"Into the Blue"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmmm..... Diving and Jessica Alba in one movie.... that's what I call Doing It Right.

But seriously.. I thought the movie was pretty good for what it was. I don't think anyone's going to see it because they think it is going to win an Academy award. The cinematography was pretty darn good, and I was entertained, which was about all I could ask for.

I caught it at a cheap matinee in the afternoon. Enjoyed it.......at matinne price, not full fare.

Regards,

Haven't seen the movie yet but just came across this thread now. I checked out that u/w picture of Jessica Alba in the silvery suit/hood and a bikini bottom, wearing was it Halcyon dive gear?, and the thing that caught my eye (okay okay, besides Jessica) was... her SPG hose was unclipped and dangling.

It's a pet peeve of mine, especially because I see it all the time -- even on NGC, where some of those guys have been diving since forever, they just let their gauges and octopus dangle freely, whacking coral or gathering sand. I see it in movies every now and then, too; last time I saw it was I think CSI: Miami, the guy who does their diving stuff also had his octopus dangling.

Though I haven't seen this movie or The Cave, I agree with those who say you should just enjoy films like these for their entertainment value and not judge too harshly on their technical correctness, because we know they're going to go Hollywood on a scene or two. :)

(I mean, even in other sports movies, it's the same deal. Anybody see the trailers for GOAL! -- the kid in the lead role does some overly flashy kicks, just for eye candy. But for my money, the best footballers I've seen are not the flashy ones, but the graceful ones, who play with finesse and subtlety.)

Having said that, a serious dive movie would be great too -- technically accurate, with a good script and great underwater photography.

If you want to trash TV/movies for taking liberties with diving, try Baywatch. Ohmygod. They oversimplify things like the bends (including practically endorsing in-water recompression), as usual people run out of air left and right, and the lamest I ever saw, they were TALKING to each other underwater, using normal regulators. Geeeez.

I think every TV show and movie that I have ever seen that involved diving, octos and gauges were dangling?

3 exceptions - The Cave, Deep Sea Detectives, And another History Channel show that had cave diving.

Even in most training videos you see this, from the same agencies the teach you to keep everything clipped in their OW classes!

What's the deal with this?
Are people really this stupid and lazy?
It only costs a few $$$ for some clips, and only takes a few seconds to secure everything?
Or is this some cinematography thing, where the Directors of all these shows think it looks cooler with gear flapping around.

I just find it really hard to beleive the tec divers, cave divers, and my buddies are the only divers in the entire world who actually secure there gear.

Louie:
Anybody seen the TV ads and trailers for this film?

I got one of these standard bulk PADI emails the other day where they mentioned they were jumping on the back of this movie to promote OW courses. So I figured this is another one of those u/w documentaries.

Then last night, I saw a TV advert (the most exciting clips from the film rolled into twenty seconds) and it's an adventure/action/fiction starring some famous starlets - story revolves around a wreck hunt with danger, suspense.... usual Hollywood formula...

So I thought hmmmmmmmm. This is a bit like using "Jaws" to promote sport fishing.

If anyone's seen the film, please let us know how bad/good it is.

Now, I'm going to go look for the smallest white bikini I can find for my next big wreck dive.

I saw the movie last night. It was good. Of course, they looked good underwater. That was to be expected. Except for the freediving inside the airplane, the diving was believeable. You could tell that Alba and Walker were already divers. They seemed more at ease in the water than the others. The underwater photography was really good and there was lots of marine life. They showed that sharks aren't always on the attack, but gave the gratutious shark frenzy and shark bite scenes. It was well worth the price of a ticket. I will buy the DVD when it comes out.

Thanks Nanadiver for the great review, I saw the movie last night as well, it was well worth the price of admission I might add. I saw it with some great friends of mine..you might know them, I'm not sure though! I agree with everything you said about the movie. And they did look great underwater, especially Jessica---they both looked very much at ease under the water as well, and they knew what they were doing too. Highly recommended to anyone who wants to learn to dive or who is already certified!

I saw "into the blue" this past weekend, and it was one of the more interesting dive related movies out there, and it was relitivly accurate(which is always good) i wont tell what happens for the rest of you that havnt seen it, but jessica alba definently keeps, you mind... ...thinking

grunzster:
I think every TV show and movie that I have ever seen that involved diving, octos and gauges were dangling?

3 exceptions - The Cave, Deep Sea Detectives, And another History Channel show that had cave diving.

Even in most training videos you see this, from the same agencies the teach you to keep everything clipped in their OW classes!

What's the deal with this?
Are people really this stupid and lazy?
It only costs a few $$$ for some clips, and only takes a few seconds to secure everything?
Or is this some cinematography thing, where the Directors of all these shows think it looks cooler with gear flapping around.

I just find it really hard to beleive the tec divers, cave divers, and my buddies are the only divers in the entire world who actually secure there gear.

Haha, and here I thought it was just me. You're right, though, at least on any NGC feature that involves tec divers and cavers, everything is clipped and tucked away, nice and neat.

I really have no idea why they can't clip the damn hoses. :) It's one of the first things I teach, right after they've learned to put the scuba unit together, because like you said, it's not like it's that hard to do, and it does a lot of good for your gear, and the environment.

grunzster:
I usually don't even unclip my SPG to check it.

Same here. I have it on a short hose routed over my shoulder so I can just look down at it when I need to check.

Back
Top Bottom