"Into the Blue"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It wasn't even the diving scenes that killed open water. It was just a horrible movie, with horrible production.

Wow...I started this thread back in March and it sat for a long time. I can't remember where I saw the preview for it. Might have been on one of the Windows Media sites or something for up and coming movies. I have yet to see it but my friend who manages a dive shop (PADI) had a ton of free tickets for the opener. He is at least saving me a poster *grin*. I am trying to get to see it but with wife gone on business lately and 2 kids, I guess I will wait for it on DVD. It was nice to hear that they used BP/W. Gives me something jab at my friend about. Might make my LDS actually start stocking a few BP/Ws for people to see and buy.

Just saw it the other day.. I was talking with the local shop owner before the movie started at the local theater. The shop was doing a promotion thing to get OW students, and they were setting up right at the theater so the people could sign up as they were walking out. The movie started on a friday I believe, and the shop got 0 customers for the weekend.

The think I couldn't get my head around was... why the heck would PADI want to use such a movie to promote diving? It seemed to me that the movie showed reasons NOT to dive, like sharks and all sorts of bizarre accidents.. The movie tends to lean towards "treasure hunting" also, and not really diving.

The other thing is though, I can't blame the makers of the film for throwing in "insta-plotpoints" like sharks and such, because visually, diving isn't too exciting. It's one of those things where the experience is much more exciting than watching it, ya know? So to make it visually stunning, they need physical things that are exciting.. sharks! Otherwise we'd have a film of divers just enjoying great viz and checking out a bunch of colorful fish.. and plus everything is in slow motion because it's under water. (no visual dilemma) Great for discovery channel, not really silverscreen material.

I saw it in the weekend and for all its faults I enjoyed it, at least it had a decent amount of underwater footage. Couldn't help thinking the plot was similar to The Deep,
but shipwrecks, sharks and treasure..........what else, a good ripping yarn.

Saw the movie yesterday, loved it! Jessica has the perfect skin color for underwater natural light, as most people look pasty underwater.

I would love to go cave diving and plane wreck diving with one breath! They did an awful lot of free diving for many minutes at 40 feet. Three people single file inside the plane on a single breath! Not me!

Despite the shark "meals", they did show how the sharks can be easily bumped away when you're underwater with them and why I'm more scared to see sharks when I'm not diving.

Fantastic photography! Don't leave at the end, stay for the credits which has much more underwater footage!

ok just finished watching the movie and I go to say dam I wish I was jared to be hooking i up with jessica alba man what a lucky man. The show def not real good on the story but man it made me want to take a trip to warm waters.

Nice pic of Jessica Alba in the movie from Rodale's Scuba Diving:

http://www.simnia.com/magazines/rsd/RSD0509_p003a_050m.jpg

It says she's been certified since age 13.
I saw the movie twice in the theater. The photography of reefs and ladies is excellent, much better quality than "Open Water." Especially those skimpy swimsuits! I really enjoyed the movie the first time, but the second time made me realize there really wasn't much depth, meaning, thought, or originality to the story. I'll get the DVD when it comes out, just for the photography. The music was good, too, but I don't think there's a soundtrack CD available.

I believe it was Conan O'Brien who interviewed Jessica Alba about Into the Blue. The only reason why I bring this up first is that she said that during all the kissing scenes in order to keep a smile on her face and enjoy it was.....to think of chocolate cake. Insert own punchling here....

I went with some non divers to the showing and I actually had some questions asked about diving. Had to explain what some of the signals the actors used meant and what all the gear was they used.

The only problem I had with it as far as hollywood doctoring is the fake skin dives that lasted forever. That and the shark attack scene (never scene a picture of a shark attack victim with perfect symmetric teeth marks...)

Overall the movie is a "B" movie. Is it a great demonstration movie for people considering diving...possibly but all movies that have some form of scuba diving where they find treasure is always a step foreward. Does this movie portray scuba diving correctly...this is definitly a "hollywood" portrayal. Kinda surprised that the divers didn't have a knife fight with a shark, but it was probably in the script but there must of been someone who knew the realities of diving that said "no". Is this a chick flick? i'd say not. Will I see it again....since gf was at work yes. Will I buy the dvd, probably not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom