Interpreting Weather Forecasts for South Florida Dive Boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is where I go for my information. I check bout status the day before and also look at the notice. NDBC - Station FWYF1 Recent Data

It will change throughout the day. But I usually wait until the last minute to book a boat dive over winter months since it can be rough the whole time.

Reactions: Ana
Wish I was down, SI of 69 days as of today :(. Hope to go diving before the end of the year
NOAA could look out the window and get the current weather wrong!

Reactions: Ana
NOAA could look out the window and get the current weather wrong!
Sometimes it sure looks like it.

Yesterday they got it close enough, it was a great ocean day. Even the rest of the boaters seemed friendlier than ever.

Today I'm hoping to finish up the long weekend with another good outing.

..Today I'm hoping to finish up the long weekend with another good outing.
How was your viz? Friday they opened up the Lake Okee flood gates in WPB and trashed our viz down to 30 ft with fresh water on top. Not sure if they opened the Pompano/lauderdale flood gates.

Our's are the "S-40" numbers,,,,your's are the "S-30" numbers. You can see them real time on this link.

http://my.sfwmd.gov/portal/pls/portal/realtime.pkg_rr.proc_rr?p_op=COASTAL

Floodgates_Lauderdale.jpg

Friday was pretty bad, yesterday considerably better.
The bad part was the top 8 - 10 feet that not only look super brown it was ridiculously colder, couldn't actually measure the difference in temperature but i bet it was 2 or 3 degrees min.

If the trend continues viz should be even better today.

Not cool to brag i know..
IMG_20201129_103854716.jpg
but today I'm seeing "Lake Atlantic"
Even the inlet was flat going out.
I cann see the reef from the boat, will have to wait an hour for my turn but i have high hopes for this last dive of the weekend. Definetly the cherry on top.

That didn’t look THAT flat. I saw ripples in the distance.
Not bad though.
But definitely not Twiggy flat.
In the event that I ever do dive again in south Floriduh, damn, did I score some awesome toys this week!

That didn’t look THAT flat. I saw ripples in the distance.
Not bad though.
But definitely not Twiggy flat.
In the event that I ever do dive again in south Floriduh, damn, did I score some awesome toys this week!

Yeah.. it wasn't all that. Don't know why would anyone came to this lame location
to dive.
Unfortunaly we live here year round and is all we got, so we endure it when ever the ripples allow it.
IMG_20201129_105332713.jpg

Yeah.. it wasn't all that. Don't know why would anyone came to this lame location
to dive.
Unfortunaly we live here year round and is all we got, so we endure it when ever the ripples allow it.
View attachment 627609
LOL! Yeah, the conditions were so rough this weekend everybody on the dive boat got seasick on Saturday! Still the sacrifice was worth the freezing water temps and frigid gale force winds! The 50 foot visibility also made the dive unbearable!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom