Internet BC purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blorkiemom

Reaction score
I'm ready to purchase my own equipment, but I'm running into trouble with the BC and would welcome voices of experience. I've got the usual female trouble--er, that is with BC's--the unisex rentals all ride up, making my tank fall back and shift all around. After reading lots of posts on this forum, I'm very interested in the Zeagle Zena; I want a back-inflate and I find the zip front very appealing and I can't find anything but praise for them on this site. Problem: the only two Zeagle dealers within 150 miles of me gave me the same story--they aren't stocking Zeagle (though they will special order). One store told me Dive Rite "does it better" and the other said Zeagle "hasn't updated their line in 8 years." I tried on a Transpac, but it didn't seem to fit any better than the other BCs I tried (though that might be busy salesperson not helping me adjust properly) and I hated the weight bags. Everything else just seems--bulky.

All that for, I guess, two different questions: first, would I be dumb to order a BC from an online dealer without ever having tried it on? I could always return it, but will I be able to get the right size/fit without hands-on help? And 2--if buying online isn't a good idea, is there a good substitute for the Zeagle?

Thanks so much for any help. I would really, really like to buy my gear only once and keep it until it wears out.

ETA that I plan on just recreational diving, mostly cold with the occasional glorious warm water as time and $ allow.

doesnt seem to say much for them if they dont stock inventory and steer you in another direction,,kinda have to makes one wonder about them,,..what part of the country do you live..???

blorkiemom:
I'm ready to purchase my own equipment, but I'm running into trouble with the BC and would welcome voices of experience. I've got the usual female trouble--er, that is with BC's--the unisex rentals all ride up, making my tank fall back and shift all around. After reading lots of posts on this forum, I'm very interested in the Zeagle Zena; I want a back-inflate and I find the zip front very appealing and I can't find anything but praise for them on this site. Problem: the only two Zeagle dealers within 150 miles of me gave me the same story--they aren't stocking Zeagle (though they will special order). One store told me Dive Rite "does it better" and the other said Zeagle "hasn't updated their line in 8 years." I tried on a Transpac, but it didn't seem to fit any better than the other BCs I tried (though that might be busy salesperson not helping me adjust properly) and I hated the weight bags. Everything else just seems--bulky.

All that for, I guess, two different questions: first, would I be dumb to order a BC from an online dealer without ever having tried it on? I could always return it, but will I be able to get the right size/fit without hands-on help? And 2--if buying online isn't a good idea, is there a good substitute for the Zeagle?

Thanks so much for any help. I would really, really like to buy my gear only once and keep it until it wears out.

ETA that I plan on just recreational diving, mostly cold with the occasional glorious warm water as time and $ allow.

When trying on the store, and if it's your first BC, fit really dependended on how helpful and knowledgable the salesperson is. Especially for the highly adjustable BCs like Zeagles or the TransPac. It's unfortunate that you had a poor salesperson.

As for BCs riding up, the Zeagle may too. In order to help with this, a lot of people (myself and my wife included) use a crotch strap.

With regards to Scubatoys, call Larry up. From his posts on the board, he promises guarantee fit. But call to confirm. Not sure about the Zena models, but other Zeagles are component based so you can mix and match shoulder sizes with waist sizes with back sizes. Makes for a very flexible system. This is the same as the Dive Rite TransPac.

Even though I buy online all the time, the biggest problem is that you aren't able to try it. While everything sounds good, and there are good reviews, it's really hard to tell if it will truly work for you and your diving. Only trying it in water will tell. That being said, if you want back inflate, weight integrated, and like the female cut of the Zena, it's a very nice BC.

Good luck in your purchase.

I used to have a Diva, which rode up terribly, especially after I lost some fat. I have since purchased a Zena (from Larry!) and couldn't be happier. It has 2 separate body bands rather than the traditional single cumberbun, and I find that I can cinch it down properly so it doesn't ride up.

I also had concerns about buying without trying it first, but Larry will exchange or take anything back within 14 days of purchase (if you don't get it wet), and it was worth the price of postage for me to give it a go. Even though Zeagle's size charts put me into a large, I fit perfectly into a medium, with enough adjustability to continue losing fat. :)

blorkiemom:
I would really, really like to buy my gear only once and keep it until it wears out.
How about a backplate & wing? :wink:

Talk with Larry @ Scubatoys. When you shop the gear by Internet, you need to make sure if the shop is always behind their sold items. The Larry's service has been VERIFIED here so many times. If you aren't happy with his service, please post your case this board again. I am sure that there is 0.01% chance though.

blorkiemom,

Are you also planning on a Zeagle Reg? If so what are your plans for service? I just heard my LDS may become a Zeagle dealer but until then I am in the same boat as you with BC and Reg preference. Thanks.

Anyone who does not have a local dealer can ship their regs (or BC, for that matter) back to Zeagle for factory servicing.

Just FYI...

Scott

blorkiemom:

You'll find the Zena is a great BC. My wife has one and loves it. The only negative I can say about it is the zipper interfers with the low pressue inflator on her dry suit. Other than that, go for it.

Back
Top Bottom