Internet BC purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We've had some success placing people into Zena bcd's. If they work for you they seem to work really well (except for the zipper/drysuit issue that was previously mentioned).

I think a lot of dealers aren't pushing Zeagle products because Zeagle has cooperated with internet resellers who offer the same products for lower prices than the dealers. Some would call this a good reason TO do business with Zeagle. :)

We have a few more shops around here (Maine) but inventory is not all that deep. The best situation is to be fitted and either get it in a pool or out for a dive, even as a paid rental. Usually what's rented is not what you'd care to buy long term so that's not always as useful an option.

I believe the Zeagles are modular and if you are not at a dealer with parts to swap then dealing with the "female trouble" may not be as sucessful. I don't doubt that some internet providers are better than others at specking an item over the phone. No matter how well they stand behind things be prepared for shipping delays if things need to go back and forth. I got caught up with this on a coast to coast deal and standard shipping cost 1 week each way.

We're going through the same thing in search of the perfect BC X2. I metioned to my wife that as soon as we're certifed we ought to fly down to Florida where there's a dive shop on every corner to find what's right.

Good luck,
Pete

blorkiemom:
I'm ready to purchase my own equipment, but I'm running into trouble with the BC and would welcome voices of experience. I've got the usual female trouble--er, that is with BC's--the unisex rentals all ride up, making my tank fall back and shift all around. After reading lots of posts on this forum, I'm very interested in the Zeagle Zena; I want a back-inflate and I find the zip front very appealing and I can't find anything but praise for them on this site. Problem: the only two Zeagle dealers within 150 miles of me gave me the same story--they aren't stocking Zeagle (though they will special order). One store told me Dive Rite "does it better" and the other said Zeagle "hasn't updated their line in 8 years." I tried on a Transpac, but it didn't seem to fit any better than the other BCs I tried (though that might be busy salesperson not helping me adjust properly) and I hated the weight bags. Everything else just seems--bulky.

All that for, I guess, two different questions: first, would I be dumb to order a BC from an online dealer without ever having tried it on? I could always return it, but will I be able to get the right size/fit without hands-on help? And 2--if buying online isn't a good idea, is there a good substitute for the Zeagle?

Thanks so much for any help. I would really, really like to buy my gear only once and keep it until it wears out.

ETA that I plan on just recreational diving, mostly cold with the occasional glorious warm water as time and $ allow.

I just recently did a good bit of business with Larry at Scubatoys, buying among other items a Zeagle Brigade BC. The Boys at Scubatoys were great and the pricing can't be beat, with quick delivery. I am very happy with this deal.

Good luck!

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. I'm driving past one more store in a couple of weeks on my way to a parental visit so I'll try there--if that's a bust, I think I'll call Scuba Toys. Your comments were all very helpful!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom