Interesting article on U.S. Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a waitress run after me and stopping me before I got in a taxi in Japan because I left a tip. She told me I forgot some money on the table.

I learned later than tipping can be considered rude in Japan 😂
In Rome do what the Romans do.
I’m visiting Thailand for a month. Restaurants in Phuket include 7-10% service charge
You are eating in places most likely frequent by tourists.
Have I ever seen the term "service charge" written on the menu in all the places that I have been eating in the Kingdom since 1988? NO.

In Rome do what the Romans do.

You are eating in places most likely frequent by tourists.
Have I ever seen the term "service charge" written on the menu in all the places that I have been eating in the Kingdom since 1988? NO.
Not in the menu. In the bill.

Do you anti-tippers stiff your dive crews as well? I see the benefit of being shown areas their standard divers don’t see, better care for my five equipment. Happy they fawn over us because we show appreciation for their skill and service. In the restaurant realm you are tipping for a dining experience.

Tipping is not expected in many countries and cultures. In Japan tipping can be deemed an insult and means you have been rude. Tipping is not done in Taiwan where I live nor in Australia. When dive centers charge AUD$100 a dive they are not expecting tips. Guides are there to show divers things they might not otherwise see. That's part of their job. I've been with new guides on sites I know. I have had to show them where things are hidden from view. Did I expect a tip?

People who expect tips just for doing their jobs? That is extortion. No one tips me for doing my job. Do you tip your children's school teachers, did you tip medical staff when you got treatment. Tip for a covid vaccine shot? Did you tip the pilots and air crew that flew you to a destination. No? Why not?

Tips I do give when it is appropriate, not because it is expected. A tip should be gratuitous from the person giving it. It should not be extracted and I will not be guilt shamed for not giving one. I like to tip when I feel it is appropriate.

Tipping is not expected in many countries and cultures. In Japan tipping can be deemed an insult. Tipping is not done in Taiwan where I live nor in Australia. When dive centers charge AUD$100 a dive they are not expecting tips. Guides are there to show divers things they might not otherwise see. That's part of their job. I've been with new guides on sites I know. I have had to show them where things are hidden from view. Did I expect a tip?

People who expect tips just for doing their jobs? That is extortion. No one tips me for doing my job. Do you tip your children's school teachers, did you tip medical staff when you got treatment. Tip for a covid vaccine shot? Did you tip the pilots and air crew that flew you to a destination. No? Why not?
I don’t cherry pick cultures or consider ones that do things differently extortionists.

I believe HK is probably the only place in SE Asia that tipping is NOT uncommon.
It was really embarrassed when someone asked me why I left some money behind. He/she just burst out laughing when I said "don't you accept tipping"!!! I was not sure if the laugh was on the amount or it was very uncommon for them. I left hurriedly.

Tipping is also not done in Singapore. Not normal in Malaysia either. Not done in Brunei.

At the end of the day if tipping in a culture where it doesn’t happen is insulting, not tipping in cultures that do is stealing.

I don’t cherry pick cultures or consider ones that do things differently extortionists.

The " I expect a tip" culture in the US feels like extortion to me. I'm surprised it's not covered under the Rico act. :)

At the end of the day if tipping in a culture where it doesn’t happen is insulting, not tipping in cultures that do is stealing.

This is the attitude. If I don't give my money to you it's stealing. Since when did my money ever belong to another?

How can I steal my own money from another?

This is the attitude. If I don't give my money to you it's stealing. Since when did my money ever belong to another?

How can I steal my own money from another?
If you understand cultures are different you know that in some the DM is not being paid, their salary is tips. If you allow them to run your dive and not tip, that is taking money out of their pocket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom