Interested in Side Mount Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NACD, NSS-CDS, and IANTD all offer a cave sidemount courses that are intended to teach divers how to deal with bottle off restrictions, etc. Those courses are different than the Open Water Side Mount course that does not deal with those. IANTD, NSS-CDS, PSAI, and TDI all allow cavern through cave to be completed in sidemount configuration.

NACD also allows cavern through full cave training to be completed in a sidemount configuration if there is a medical reason to do so. Spoke to Richard Dreher at BTS last month about this exact topic. He is the Instructor Director for the NACD.

I hope they don't discriminate against the healthy? :p

Discussing stupid Ginnie rules got old 5 years ago.

Some of us weren't diving 5 years ago :wink:

But really, it should be fairly str8forward:

1. There is a cheat sheet on Ginnie reception wall
2. Two SM tanks hardly contain more gas than two BM tanks (Note, no one has yet to bring up how Intro diver can get somewhere naughty vs too far with the config, so I leave that out)

I think we all agree that something was odd about being told SM was not allowed without a card. I've never seen anybody told they can't dive Ginnie without a SM card. However, a diver that is not allowed to use doubles in backmount falls under the same rule if they try to use sm, as sm is double tank configuration as well.

I think it's also been covered that the cheat sheet and managers are there incase there is any issue.

Some of us weren't diving 5 years ago :wink:
Doesn't mean it wasn't old by then :wink:

The #1 rule to diving Ginnie is to shut your mouth and dive. Follow that and you won't have any issues, you could dive a rebreather, 200w HMI, and 2 scooters in Devils while checked in as an OW student and no one would bother you.

Last edited:
As pointed out TDI doesnt have 2 different cards nor does it say how you were trained nor does say you have to train with a manifold.

That's the issue. NSS-CDS and IANTD both have 2 different cards. GUE only trains cave 1 in doubles. NACD and TDI are the only 2 agencies that don't differentiate. So Ginnie has to go the safe route and assume training was done in a single cylinder unless there is something in writing that states otherwise.

Now who needs to get their facts straight?

I have the facts straight. In fact, I'm a cave instructor for IANTD, NSS-CDS, PSAI, and IANTD.

Rose even agreed that he was within his training to dive doubles but she said he had to have a SIDEMOUNT CARD..

I'm going to guess there was a misunderstanding there on your part...

piikki:
Actually, I will call Ginnie next time I travel but I would like to know in advance what other people have been told. I've been trained to Apprentice in sidemount by NACD.

Interesting. So either you have a medical reason for this or your instructor violated standards.

dl348:
NACD also allows cavern through full cave training to be completed in a sidemount configuration if there is a medical reason to do so. Spoke to Richard Dreher at BTS last month about this exact topic. He is the Instructor Director for the NACD.

I am fully aware of that. My statement was in regards to current standards that allow training in sidemount without any waivers. And what is an Instructor Director?? If you meant Training Director, then you're wrong, or someone lied to you. Larry Green is the Training Director for the NACD. I recently did my crossover internship with Larry and we specifically discussed sidemount and the NACD's stance on it. I'm not going to repeat it here because it's not my place, but many of you are assuming a lot that's not true.

Wow! This thread has really gotten off topic!

Rob, his profile states for the sb challenge-
Being able to carry tanks again after back surgery

I'm guessing he has a legit medical reason for diving SM.

Rob, his profile states for the sb challenge-

I'm guessing he has a legit medical reason for diving SM.

Whose profile?

That's the issue. NSS-CDS and IANTD both have 2 different cards. GUE only trains cave 1 in doubles. NACD and TDI are the only 2 agencies that don't differentiate. So Ginnie has to go the safe route and assume training was done in a single cylinder unless there is something in writing that states otherwise.

I have the facts straight. In fact, I'm a cave instructor for IANTD, NSS-CDS, PSAI, and IANTD.

I'm going to guess there was a misunderstanding there on your part...

Interesting. So either you have a medical reason for this or your instructor violated standards.

I am fully aware of that. My statement was in regards to current standards that allow training in sidemount without any waivers. And what is an Instructor Director?? If you meant Training Director, then you're wrong, or someone lied to you. Larry Green is the Training Director for the NACD. I recently did my crossover internship with Larry and we specifically discussed sidemount and the NACD's stance on it. I'm not going to repeat it here because it's not my place, but many of you are assuming a lot that's not true.

Wow! This thread has really gotten off topic!

Diveaholic, I think you may have been misinformed...NACD DOES differentiate between single and doubles training at the Intro. level and they have 2 different cards to verify this. If you'd like PM me and I'll copy you on a e-mail that Larry Green sent me earlier this year. The NACD Intro. to Cave in doubles cert. expires in 1 year. If you have the NACD student workbook, I believe it's also written there as well.

Also, I DID NOT mean Training Director, I meant exactly what I wrote, Instructor Director. I really don't know what an Instructor Director's responsibilities are but that is Richard Dreher's position with the NACD. Check out National Association For Cave Diving if you feel the need to confirm this.

Back
Top Bottom