Interested in Side Mount Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is all opinion, so take it for what you will...

I'm no expert, but I probably know a little more about Ginnie's rules than most...and I have heard of no rule requiring a sidemount card. I've never seen "SM" written on a car pass or a diver wristband. I've never seen a diver stopped for diving in SM rather than backmount.

Ginnie does require a full cave card if you announce you are diving with a rebreather. Reason being, breathers allow divers to avoid the gas limits that keep intro divers closer to the entrance. Now, this is just my opinion, but I think Ginnie probably wants to/needs to (for insurance reasons) have some way to enforce those training requirements to limit the chances that a less trained diver has of getting far back in the system. I don't think an intro diver belongs 3k back in a system. I really think intro is just a training level and I think all divers need to have "full cave" as the end goal. Ginnie also seems to think that, as they reward "full cave" divers with a discount on entrance.

A lot of Ginnie employees are not divers, and sometimes they can get confused. And really, how realistic is it to expect a non diver to know the training requirements for all the various agencies and their various names for different classes and levels?

Ginnie is certainly worth diving. It has miles of passage and can provide hundreds of interesting dives for people of almost any skill level. It's a beautiful cave, and it's still going, it's far from "totally explored."

A lot of Ginnie employees are not divers, and sometimes they can get confused. And really, how realistic is it to expect a non diver to know the training requirements for all the various agencies and their various names for different classes and levels?

I think its very realistic for an employee to be informed of the rules they are expected to follow and/or enforce.

I like Ginnie, it keeps the majority of trainees in one place... and not somewhere else. Keeps the cave beatdown isolated.

This is all opinion, so take it for what you will...

I'm no expert, but I probably know a little more about Ginnie's rules than most...and I have heard of no rule requiring a sidemount card. I've never seen "SM" written on a car pass or a diver wristband. I've never seen a diver stopped for diving in SM rather than backmount.

Ginnie does require a full cave card if you announce you are diving with a rebreather. Reason being, breathers allow divers to avoid the gas limits that keep intro divers closer to the entrance. Now, this is just my opinion, but I think Ginnie probably wants to/needs to (for insurance reasons) have some way to enforce those training requirements to limit the chances that a less trained diver has of getting far back in the system. I don't think an intro diver belongs 3k back in a system. I really think intro is just a training level and I think all divers need to have "full cave" as the end goal. Ginnie also seems to think that, as they reward "full cave" divers with a discount on entrance.

Ginnie is certainly worth diving. It has miles of passage and can provide hundreds of interesting dives for people of almost any skill level. It's a beautiful cave, and it's still going, it's far from "totally explored."
and one's real hot :)

There's actually another hott girl that works at Ginnie now.

And in case you were wondering....
e96d6892aa7ff25b42d5802f665a5834.gif

hmmm
this is an interesting development that deserves my complete and undivided attention next time I'm at that regrettable cave

hmmm
this is an interesting development that deserves my complete and undivided attention next time I'm at that regrettable cave
I don't think she's 21, so a little beer might go a long ways :popcorn:

this got creepy fast
Someone had to derail it. Discussing stupid Ginnie rules got old 5 years ago.

There's actually another hott girl that works at Ginnie now.

And in case you were wondering....
e96d6892aa7ff25b42d5802f665a5834.gif

hmmm

I don't think she's 21, so a little beer might go a long ways :popcorn:

this got creepy fast

Someone had to derail it. Discussing stupid Ginnie rules got old 5 years ago.

:chuckle: You young guys are kinda cute.

Back
Top Bottom