Interested in Side Mount Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, now the truth comes out...

TDI Intro only allows single cylinder diving at Ginnie unless you have a letter from your instructor stating you completed the course in double cylinders. Your situation had nothing to do with sidemount. Other agencies have addressed this issue by differentiating the training - CDS has an Into level (1 cylinder) and a Basic level (2 cylinders), IANTD prints "Completed in double cylinders" on the card. You didn't get kicked out for sidemount. Please get your facts straight before you make accusations.

And yes, in this law suit happy society of ours, liability is a major factor in many things.

TDI Intro allows doubles(1/6ths) or singles(1/3rd), but the card doesn't differentiate what you were trained for - which IMO it shouldn't have to. Its a retarted rule for Ginnie to enforce to begin with... There isn't a TDI Intro Doubles or TDI Intro Singles card, the Intro card just works for Intro level dives(which covers gas restrictions in both configurations).

The problem is... Ginnie probably hadn't gotten that memo. You're right though, it had nothing to do with him diving sidemount, only that he was diving "doubles" without a card that specifically showed doubles.

It was a year ago on Memorial day weekend and that guy with the yellow vest stopped us in the parking lot.

My buddy had a TDI Intro card (the card that has no limitations on configuration) But Rose told him he could not dive the Ear or the Eye unless he had a card that said he was trained for sidemount.

It makes it kind of hard to beleive that for "insurance purposes" you cant dive sidemount unless you take this other class.
So the card did not say "with doubles", correct? That's a well known Ginnie rule. For each one of us that hates it, there's an old guy who thinks that single tanks is how intro should be, look at how long it took the NACD to update their training standards. If I were Ginnie and had to pay the insurance, I would go with what the "party lines" were within the training agencies.

Recently I couldn't find my cave card and had to sign in as OW at the desk, no one said anything when I was dropping a DPV or stages in the water. I think they just bother people who "stand out"? :idk:

TDI cards don't differentiate, there is no "doubles" card but it should be implied and I BELIEVE Ginnie knows that now? Or perhaps you need to bring a permission slip from your instructor.

Just another reason not to go there :)

Imagine what Ginnie will say when they discover intro certified divers on CCR that are back at the Heinkel.

Imagine what Ginnie will say when they discover intro certified divers on CCR that are back at the Heinkel.
My guess is...

...that'll be $32, sign here. :D

TDI is considering doing something to eliminate the Ginnie issue.

Please get your facts straight before you make accusations.

As pointed out TDI doesnt have 2 different cards nor does it say how you were trained nor does say you have to train with a manifold.

Now who needs to get their facts straight?

Rose even agreed that he was within his training to dive doubles but she said he had to have a SIDEMOUNT CARD..

Last edited:
Hey ass, don't be an ass.

As pointed out TDI doesnt have 2 different cards nor does it say how you were trained nor does say you have to train with a manifold.

Now who needs to get their facts straight?

Rose even agreed that he was within his training to dive doubles but she said he had to have a SIDEMOUNT CARD..

I was going to jump on the bandwagon, and tell you that your problem was just with the Intro card but if you were particularly told that you needed SM card after being told you are OK to dive doubles then I would be a little annoyed because this could have happened to me in Feb. Did they specify what exactly you need for proof or just bluntly deny?

Ginnie has a note on the wall that says TDI Intro card allows people to dive doubles (I know I have pointed them to it). Apparently, this does not mean those people can dive sidemount then? I don't think TDI card would specify SM training anymore than it specifies doubles even if your buddy trained in SM. Did Rose clarify that your buddy had to have Full Cave too to be allowed to SM? Or just have something somewhere on the cards saying sidemount?

I would really like to know because I would like to avoid being unsure, sneaking around, being denied entry or having to bother my instructor to write (possibly wrong kinds of) letters if only certain type of proof is accepted.

Actually, I will call Ginnie next time I travel but I would like to know in advance what other people have been told. I've been trained to Apprentice in sidemount by NACD. Maybe it does not matter after the Intro level which seems to be the real problematic level at Ginnie.

Back
Top Bottom