Interested in doing the Flower Gardens (Aug-Sep)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
we are discussing doing the Flower Gardens, maybe Aug or Sept. Since we know these trips fill up fast, we would like some advice, recommendations, etc. We would be driving in from ABQ, NM. We've done lots of Calif liveaboard trips as well as other more luxurious liveaboards (Palau, Bahamas). The bunk thing doesn't bother us for a 3-day trip. :wink:

Tell me what you think is the best thing and the worst thing about the trips! What would be see in Aug-Sept timeframe?

robin:D

Of course, I MAY be biased. As far as I am concerned, the BEST thing about the Flower Gardens is the health of the reef and abundance of the fish. The WORST thing is (potentially) the weather. August and September is the highest potential of hurricane season. When there are no hurricanes, the weather is stupendous. We try very hard not to be offshore in hurricanes.

folks who come by plane/long drive (that's you) may request an early weather call, and yes, I really do look at the weather early for that call, not for every call. Otherwise, the call is made at noon on the day of departure, and posted on the Gulf Diving and Spree Expeditions site.

August-Sept time frame seems to have the best odds of seeing Whale Sharks and big Mantas. That also gets into coral spawn season.

It's a great time of year to go. I'm trip leading a trip the beginning of August if you're interested. It has a couple spots open.

thanks, I am guessing that if the trip is called we could just spend a day in Houston before driving back home. :wink:

:D

If the weather does conspire against you, don't be too afraid to try out one of the lovely Texas swamps, or if your time allows for a trip to the Hill Country, try out the Comal River. Do a search here in the swamp and you can find out a lot of information on the local watering holes.

thanks, I am guessing that if the trip is called we could just spend a day in Houston before driving back home. :wink:

:D

Austin and Lake Travis would be a little nicer than Houston :D

If you are driving I-10 you could go to Balmorhea TPWD: Balmorhea State Park

Neither of these options are the FG but are much better than nothing.

Also on I-10 the Caverns of Sonora (dry cave) are incredible

Well, as a volunteer for the FG, I am, indeed, biased. Others have already called it the way it is...the FG is so healthy, it serves as a benchmark for the health of other reef systems worldwide. While you will not see soft corals, the benthic cover is higher than practically any reef system you will visit except perhaps Austrailia's Great Barrier Reef. Because it is so far offshore, it's a favorite stopping point for mega-fauna, and you stand a reasonable chance of seeing mantas and maaaaaybeeee a whale shark. I wouldn't hold too much hope for getting a berth during the mass spawning in August...those usually book up a couple of years in advance. Still, there should be lots to see, and both Gulf Diving vessels sport great crews who will bend over backward to make sure you have a fun, spectacular, and safe excursion.
As for the risk of getting the dreaded "call", what others said is right on...it happens, but in my book it's worth the chance.
Have a great trip and post a report when you get back.

I went on the Fling last year I think in July and had a great time. I guess I got lucky with the weather.

Best thing I guess would be the diving. We got in Seven dives. Five on Saturday and 2 on Sunday. Great food after each dive and lots of fun discussions and movies in the galley. They had a place to charge batteries and a big screen TV to check out video from past dives or movies. The whole upper deck is open for sun bathers and the Camera Table and Rinse bin seemed well taken care of. I saw lots of cool fish (Trunk, Squirrel, File, Angle), a couple of moray eels (including one baby), a sting ray, and off in the distance an eagle ray.

Worst thing? I really don't know. Like I said I lucked out with the weather. Anyway I don't think we had many hurricanes last year. I've heard the current can get stronger and the waves a little bigger than they were on my trip. The water was nice. I dove in a full 3mil I might have even bee a little warm.

My shop is Scubaland Adventures and they are leading several trips out there this year.
Texas Flower Gardens

I've heard the Spree takes fewer divers so that the ship is less crowded. But again I was on the Fling and had a great time too.

Back
Top Bottom