Interested in DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a new diver too and was also interested in the DIR stuff I'd read about on this site. The best thing I did was order the book 'Dress for Success' from the GUE website. It does a really good job of breaking down the equipment used and the reasons behind the configuration so you can decide for yourself whether you think it's something that will work for you or not.

Does the Aladin tech give you time in minutes or minutes & seconds?

I stuck with a computer for a long while until I felt comfortable enough to go gauge. I actually think it helps as you can compare the two profiles and see where they aggree and where they differ.

KMD:
I stuck with a computer for a long while until I felt comfortable enough to go gauge. I actually think it helps as you can compare the two profiles and see where they aggree and where they differ.

Someone will probably pop up and claim that anyone ever using a computer is inherantly letting their brain atrophy -- but I did the same thing as KMD and have to agree. The first hundred dives or so it was useful to compare what my computer thought of my profile to what I thought of my profile. After awhile the computer got turned off.

KMD:
Does the Aladin tech give you time in minutes or minutes & seconds?

In gauge mode it has both. A resettable stopwatch with min+sec and a total dive time in mins.

rjack321:
Feel free to use you computer in DIRF, perfectly acceptable. Its only later that computers become less and less capable of planning deco the DIR way
If you dive within MDL (which you should if you're trained to fundies level) then you really don't need computer. DIR-F learns you what MDL is and how to ascend from such dive. Keeping computer maybe helps somebody to build confidence in newly gained knowledge but IMHO the best way is to start immediately as taught during class.

MonkSeal:
Keeping computer maybe helps somebody to build confidence in newly gained knowledge but IMHO the best way is to start immediately as taught during class.

People move at their own pace, IMO dive a computer for recreational dives for as long as you want or need to. I won't push anyone to give up their computer if they aren't ready to mentally plan their dives on the fly. The method(s) will be there when the time is right.

TSandM:
Take a trip over to www.gue.com and read some of the articles there.

DIR is an approach to diving that has standardization -- of equipment, protocols and procedures -- as one of its core concepts. Therefore it mandates an equipment configuration that involves a backplate and wing, and a regulator set up with a long-hose primary and a secondary bungied around your neck. So, no, your current BC does not fit.

Actually ... according to the GUE equipment config page, one of the most distinct items commonly associated with a DIR configuration is actually considered optional for certain types of recreational diving.

“5. Long Hose: Optional in shallow, open water diving, but mandatory in deeper or overhead diving; the long hose simplifies air sharing.“​

I’m curious as to what the long hose alternative DIR configuration looks like. Is it just merely a primary hose that’s less that 7ft long ... say 5 ft ? Is such a rig commonly used in practice ?

People move at their own pace, IMO dive a computer for recreational dives for as long as you want or need to. I won't push anyone to give up their computer if they aren't ready to mentally plan their dives on the fly. The method(s) will be there when the time is right.

Very well said. Certainly was true for me.

I’m curious as to what the long hose alternative DIR configuration looks like. Is it just merely a primary hose that’s less that 7ft long ... say 5 ft ? Is such a rig commonly used in practice ?

You can use a 5' hose, which routes under the arm and around the neck like the seven footer, or it is also acceptable to use a 40" hose, which simply routes under the arm and to the mouth. The bungied backup remains the same, as does the principle of donating the primary.

In practice, I think most everybody ends up using the 7' hose, because you get used to it, and it's easier than changing out hoses.

In practice, I think most everybody ends up using the 7' hose, because you get used to it, and it's easier than changing out hoses.

Also in the end training and being comfortable with a standard setup is going to serve you in good stead for your entire dive carreer. New skills learned will be based on skills you already have mastered.

rjack321:
agreed.

Chris

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom