Intensive (great) Macro for 2-3 days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GirlonFire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be coming to Bali after an extended trip to Puerto Galera, Anilao and Tubbataha.
I am looking to get the best of Tulamben macro in 2-3 days.
I dived Padangbai a few years ago but wanted to try someplace new.
I will be with my non diving husband so would like someplace with good wifi, massage, and decent food.
Villa Markisa looks great but $$$. Also looked at Toyabali and Matahari.
Would staying at a non diving resort coupled with a private guide be better or a dive resort?
TIA

We stayed at Liberty Dive and it was great.!!! Contact ajiex dharma on Instagram and get him to private guide you. You will not be dissapointed.

i have done several Tulamben trips with Liberty Resort, which is beautiful and relaxing and has very nice food.
You get your own guide and vehicle and driver and can go where you want when you want. Made Saur was my guide, a brilliant spotter and very nice person.

For years I have usually stayed at Tauch Terminal in Tulamben and hired private guide Ajiex Dharma (IMO one of the best guide for serious photographers).
My non diving wife enjoys TTT, she finds this is probably the best/most confortable hotel in the central Tulamben area (ie. excluding Villa Markisa or Seraya which are out of the Village), beautiful garden, all the rooms are facing the beach, 2 small pools + nice restaurant.

Some extremely good spotters work at Liberty dive resort (Wayan Jhon or Gede Ardha) where you'll have them for yourself while the resort bungalows and the grounds prove to be comfy enough.

Ocean view is a nice hotel too, on the beach, 50m walking distance from of the Liberty Wreck.

Except for Liberty Dive Resort which is normally their main asset, you don't have to use the dive services of teh resort your're located in : there are a number of diveshops you may contact on the net and who provide excellent spotters such as letsdivetulamben (Yansu Suartana or Ketut Agus) or Oceanus Tulamben (Made Pasek and Ketut tisnu).

I tried Toyabali but was not practical for me carrying a big camera. I don't think my non diving wife would like to be staying at Matahari, very poor grounds.

If you looked Matahari, then you might consider Puri Madha, the best location for diving the wreck and slope. You enter the water from their dive center and exit to their restaurant. They do have very good guides but for serious macro and super macro, ask for Bagong.
They have two pools. Ask for the room in front of new pool since the old pool can be very crowded with OW students. Food is so so.
Best restaurant in Tulamben for western food is Chops&Hop at Ocean Sun resort. Ocean sun is very nice dive resort particularly for technical diving but the location is not beachfront.

If you looked Matahari, then you might consider Puri Madha,
Comparing accomodations, Puri Madha is much better in terms of location and grounds than Matahari.
That said both a tad below TTT, Mimpi Resort, Liberty dive center, Ocean view or Toyabali in terms of comfort.
OP probably selected Matahari on the base of their dive center, you'll agree their hotel is not ideal for non divers. (I'd even prefer Ocean sun in that respect even though it's not on the beachfront).

Comparing accomodations, Puri Madha is much better in terms of location and grounds than Matahari.
That said both a tad below TTT, Mimpi Resort, Liberty dive center, Ocean view or Toyabali in terms of comfort.
OP probably selected Matahari on the base of their dive center, you'll agree their hotel is not ideal for non divers. (I'd even prefer Ocean sun in that respect even though it's not on the beachfront).
What's in my head when OP considered Matahari is the location.
I agree, Puri Madha is not same level as TT, Mimpi, Oceanview and LDR. Pricewise is significantly lower.
There's lot of improvement in PM compared with 3-4 years ago. Their new rooms are better; their garden and new pool is also nice and clean. They lock the access from parking area. So less crowded from daily tripper. That's the reason we stayed there on our last 5 trip to Tulamben. Yes, no spa and gym; but can ask and will get the same massager to the room at much lower price.

I wonder if going to try Dauin/Dumaguete would be more rewarding than Tulamben. I haven’t been yet to Dauin.

Thoughts?

I wonder if going to try Dauin/Dumaguete would be more rewarding than Tulamben. I haven’t been yet to Dauin.

Thoughts?
In short : No.
Everything you have in Dauin, you can find it in Tulamben, inverse is not true.
Dauin might be better for octopus findings (blue ring, etc.), and sometimes you may find up to 15-20 frogfishes in one dive but in terms of variety of crustacea and nudibranch Tulamben beats them all.

Comparison on my images :

Tulamben : Flickr Search — “Tulamben”

Dauin : Flickr Search — “dauin”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom