Integrated Bolt Snap on SPG? + Highland vs Hog (the Same?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This raises another interesting question... I know that the Miflex HP hoses were recalled, and I now have a Kevlar HP hose for my SPG (with a bolt snap tied in the usual fashion via cave line).

But I'm obviously more concerned about an LP leak, and my long (Miflex) hose with my primary second stage is also rigged in the usual fashion, tied to a bolt snap via cave line. It looks fine to me after a couple of seasons, and this seems to be a standard configuration, but that link has me worried, assuming that it's not just marketing BS.

Are any of the more experienced divers here concerned about wear on a Miflex LP long hose by a cave line tied bolt snap? Should I move the tie closer to the reg so that it is on the metal portion of the reg and not on the hose?

Here's my setup...

View attachment 170289

Doctormike,

I think it is just marketing hype. But that's why I posed my question in response to seeing the posting on the Myflex hoses' site. I haven't gotten around to using these hoses and was wanting input related to this issue from those that have. In thinking about it, when you use caveline to attach a bolt snap, the line is tied snug enough to prevent the assembly from sliding up and down the hose correct? So that alone would prevent excessive wear on the hoses right? I mean if the assembly was loose and allowed to move on the hose I could see how that MAY cause abrasion damage. I don't know. So what is the real issue MyFlex is claiming? I don't know either. B.

I find it a little funny that Miflex hoses are marketed with the following (from the XS Scuba website)

Extreme Abrasion Resistance

• [FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]MIFLEX hoses feature an external nylon safety braiding designed to outperform and outlive traditional rubber hoses[/FONT]

but yet, a special connector needs to be purchased to attach a boltsnap in order to protect the hose.

I find it a little funny that Miflex hoses are marketed with the following (from the XS Scuba website)

Extreme Abrasion Resistance

• MIFLEX hoses feature an external nylon safety braiding designed to outperform and outlive traditional rubber hoses

but yet, a special connector needs to be purchased to attach a boltsnap in order to protect the hose.

That's a good point!

---------- Post added November 4th, 2013 at 12:41 PM ----------

Doctormike,

I think it is just marketing hype. But that's why I posed my question in response to seeing the posting on the Myflex hoses' site. I haven't gotten around to using these hoses and was wanting input related to this issue from those that have. In thinking about it, when you use caveline to attach a bolt snap, the line is tied snug enough to prevent the assembly from sliding up and down the hose correct? So that alone would prevent excessive wear on the hoses right? I mean if the assembly was loose and allowed to move on the hose I could see how that MAY cause abrasion damage. I don't know. So what is the real issue MyFlex is claiming? I don't know either. B.

Well, the cave line has to be tight enough to keep the snap from moving on the hose... I find it hard to imagine that it puts more of a strain on the hose than that rubber clamp, since the line isn't moving with respect to the hose. Maybe a solution in search of a problem, but I would be interested if Miflex has any cases of a hose failure at the tie point related to cave line...?

One other point is that mi flex long hoses tend to be extremely floaty, take a set when coiled for too long, and the damn things catch the little hairs on the back of my neck. For those reasons I not only don't recommend them, I don't even sell braided long hoses.

One other point is that mi flex long hoses tend to be extremely floaty, take a set when coiled for too long, and the damn things catch the little hairs on the back of my neck. For those reasons I not only don't recommend them, I don't even sell braided long hoses.

I so rarely dive in water warm enough to allow my neck to be exposed...

That's where "man-scaping" comes into play. :rofl3: A razor blade or Nair works great here.:eyebrow: B.

I have one of these Highland types with the integrated snap. When I purchased it I never had any intention of using the provided bolt snap. It was and is my intention to use it with a small snap tied with cave line as I generally do (or occasionally cable ties). Used in this fashion it is wonderful, presents well and is quite handy. I like it.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom