Integrated Bolt Snap on SPG? + Highland vs Hog (the Same?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes

I don't see any real benefit to the integration either... Cave line and a cigarette lighter FTW
Ditto...And black faced gauges are easier to read than white faced, especially in dark places......

I have yet to dive any of the braided hoses. So maybe those that have vast experience can comment on this attachment process. This bolt snap and guard are being advertised as the ONLY approved process for attaching to braided hoses if you want to maintain your warranty. The wording even goes to say cave line attachment will prematurely wear braided hoses voiding their warranty. Has anyone noticed their braided hoses wearing out faster using cave line as an attachment process? B.

XS Scuba - HoseHook hosehook.jpg

I The wording even goes to say cave line attachment will prematurely wear braided hoses voiding their warranty. Has anyone noticed their braided hoses wearing out faster using cave line as an attachment process? B.

I've done more than 500 dives with a boltsnap cave-tied to a Miflex 7ft hose. There is ZERO sign of any sort of wear. I can only imagine, that at that rate, it will be 10,000 dives or 100 years before I would see enough wear to damage the hose.

As to cave-tying onto a braided HP hose? Well, the manufacturer had their own issues relative to warranty claims, causing most people to stop using their HP version :d

As to the product that started this thread... I'd never use it, since with standard hose lengths the boltsnap needs to be further upstream than the SPG head itself to avoid bowing. At least for me.

I have yet to dive any of the braided hoses. So maybe those that have vast experience can comment on this attachment process. This bolt snap and guard are being advertised as the ONLY approved process for attaching to braided hoses if you want to maintain your warranty. The wording even goes to say cave line attachment will prematurely wear braided hoses voiding their warranty. Has anyone noticed their braided hoses wearing out faster using cave line as an attachment process? B.

XS Scuba - HoseHookView attachment 170228

Approved by who? It looks like.a solid metal connection that cannot be cut in an entanglement situation. I can tell you now with certainty that I will not permit such a thing in any class I teach.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

How useful are people finding spg's with integrated bolt snaps? Are they disadvantageous in any way?

Only if you realise you're the fool who has become separated from his money.

Approved by who? It looks like.a solid metal connection that cannot be cut in an entanglement situation. I can tell you now with certainty that I will not permit such a thing in any class I teach.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Don't be so close-minded Jim - you can cut through the hose!

:d

According to Myflex, you can cut through it with string.

Reactions: RJP
I agree with Jim... I was taught by my instructor that no metal in metal connections are to be used ... As mentioned for obvious reasons... I'm thinking this is more of a toy for the rec diver to use as an alternative to the retractor or even to those who just like the look of the tec gear setup.

For the sake of readers who are unfamiliar, the diving community has developed a very high sensitivity to metal clips and entanglement. As far as I know, there was one case where a diver was recovered on the Andrea Doria with a “suicide clip” entangled in electrical cables. It is not clear if that contributed to his death or occurred in his last minutes of thrashing trying to free himself from the pile that fell on him.

These clips can accidently snap onto objects. With enough force a line can get caught behind the rotating "safety" lever and be very difficult to get unhooked. Bolt, trigger, and snap shackle clips don’t share this characteristic so are preferred for diving gear. I believe this image was the type of clip in the accident but some Carabiners also suffer the problem. As a result, many believe that being able to cut or otherwise disconnect all clips from gear that you would not want to jettison in an emergency is required.

Attachments

• 8885.jpg
    8885.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 196

Back
Top Bottom