Integrated Bolt Snap on SPG? + Highland vs Hog (the Same?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes and you see lots of functioning gauges with cracked, shattered, or missing glass faces. I've only seen 1 oil pressure gauge with an intact glass face malfunction after 40 years of use, but that was only at the connection point and it is now fixed and going strong (in my car). ---------- Post added November 3rd, 2013 at 08:20 PM ---------- A Solucination?

Nearly all of the precision shooters I know use lens caps. They do this because this is an incredibly easy bit of damage leading to cracked lenses.

image-1989788856.jpg

This happens to be similar damage to cel phones running gorilla glass (tougher I believe, by thickness, than instrument lenses) where dropping a cel-phone on the corner without a case is more likely to create broken glass. But that's anecdotal.

Let's imagine this test. We take two sets of brass and glass SPGs. One set is booted, one isn't.

We mount them into a manifold and clamp that manifold into a vise. We then drop a cinder block, by a corner, corner first, onto each, from incremental distances of 1mm per increment, starting at 1mm.

We drop them onto the outside curved edge, back, and front lens.

I'm betting that the only equal resistance to damage would be when we drop the cinder block onto the glass lens itself. Do you really think that there would be identical results from each of the three tested angles?

And would any of us feel like we'd want to keep diving a gauge with a broken lens?

And would any of us feel like we'd want to keep diving a gauge with a broken lens?

I would feel so stupid for having mounted my SPG into a manifold, clamping that manifold into a vice, and then dropping a cinder block on it, repeatedly, that I wouldn't feel much like going diving anyway...

:-(

I would feel so stupid for having mounted my SPG into a manifold, clamping that manifold into a vice, and then dropping a cinder block on it, repeatedly, that I wouldn't feel much like going diving anyway... :-(

Because every other part of diving was figured out using anecdotal evidence and no data.

Because every other part of diving was figured out using anecdotal evidence and no data.

Having managed to do nearly 1,000 dives (including >500 wreck and cave dives) with the same, non-booted SPG... which has also been dragged in and out of my car, tossed around on boats, planes, pickup trucks, etc all over the world... I think those thousands of observations constitute far more "data" than your hypothetical cinder block experiment.

I've done more than 500 dives with a boltsnap cave-tied to a Miflex 7ft hose. There is ZERO sign of any sort of wear. I can only imagine, that at that rate, it will be 10,000 dives or 100 years before I would see enough wear to damage the hose.
As to cave-tying onto a braided HP hose? Well, the manufacturer had their own issues relative to warranty claims, causing
most people to stop using their HP version :d
As to the product that started this thread... I'd never use it, since with standard hose lengths the boltsnap needs to be further upstream than the SPG head itself to avoid bowing. At least for me.

Yeah RJP, I figured it was a bunch of pooh and a scheme to get people to buy their product. B.

---------- Post added November 3rd, 2013 at 08:18 PM ----------

Approved by who? It looks like.a solid metal connection that cannot be cut in an entanglement situation. I can tell you now with certainty that I will not permit such a thing in any class I teach.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Jim, just click the link in my post and do some quick research on this product. The info is there. B.

The gauges are nowhere near as precise as a lens , looking at my gauge it should be around +-50 psi but in reality I have sone of them being of by 200psi.

If you ever dive salt water the boot actually makes it much worse as you cannot rinse the salt out and that kills it

Have you spent much time on job sites? Construction? Precision shooting? Hunting? Photography?

I've done all of the above. If it has a glass lens a little bit of cushion can make a huge difference.

This raises another interesting question... I know that the Miflex HP hoses were recalled, and I now have a Kevlar HP hose for my SPG (with a bolt snap tied in the usual fashion via cave line).

But I'm obviously more concerned about an LP leak, and my long (Miflex) hose with my primary second stage is also rigged in the usual fashion, tied to a bolt snap via cave line. It looks fine to me after a couple of seasons, and this seems to be a standard configuration, but that link has me worried, assuming that it's not just marketing BS.

Are any of the more experienced divers here concerned about wear on a Miflex LP long hose by a cave line tied bolt snap? Should I move the tie closer to the reg so that it is on the metal portion of the reg and not on the hose?

Here's my setup...

mr_rig.jpg

. I really hate the idea of a precise instrument bouncing around on a boat deck and elsewhere so I put it in a boot.

To protect it from "bouncing around on a boat deck"?!!!! That's like expecting Smokey the Bear to protect you from forest fires.

Forgot your reading comprehension glasses?

:d

We were referring to how long it would take a piece of cave line tied around a miflex hose to cut through it.

I considered that alternate meaning of your statement:

If you've got 1,000yrs worth of gas...

But didn’t think that you were unaware of the cutting power of string. My bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom