Integrated Bolt Snap on SPG? + Highland vs Hog (the Same?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Locus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How useful are people finding spg's with integrated bolt snaps? Are they disadvantageous in any way?

Lately I've been thinking of replacing my suunto spg. It feels like flimsy plastic, has a huge boot, and it has 200psi graduations, which has always annoyed me.

I was thinking about the HOG black-faced spg, and then a Highland spg at my LDS caught my eye. It looks almost exactly like this one, but it says "tempered glass" in frosted letters on the bottom left of the face, and I don't think it said Italy on it.

XSScubaClipSPG.jpg
I've read that the Hog, Highland, and other spg's are all made by the same manufacturer in Italy and then rebranded. I can't find a picture of a Highland one that has the "tempered glass" label on the front and is lacking the Italy label, so I can't find the exact same one. Does anyone know if there is a difference? The one at my LDS is priced the same as the one pictured above. Scubatoys, leisurepro, etc all have the same price on it.

EDIT: I now notice that the HOG black face spg's have the "tempered glass" label in the exact font I remember from the one at my lds. Is it pretty safe to assume that these are the same gauge?

It does look very convenient not to have to tie on the bolt snap. But I believe that the reason for using string, or "cave line" to attach bolt snaps is if there is entanglement, and you can't manage to unsnap it, it can easily be cut.

It does look very convenient not to have to tie on the bolt snap. But I believe that the reason for using string, or "cave line" to attach bolt snaps is if there is entanglement, and you can't manage to unsnap it, it can easily be cut.

I hadn't thought of that. I guess that would explain this
hl309-ba.jpg

A solution looking for a problem?

My favourite philosophy prof used to tell me that he had a problem for every solution. I have adopted that approach and it has served me well so far.

Its in the wrong position. You grab the hose between your third & ring fingers and the bolt snap has to be at where your index finger & thumb is.

How useful are people finding spg's with integrated bolt snaps? Are they disadvantageous in any way?

Lately I've been thinking of replacing my suunto spg. It feels like flimsy plastic, has a huge boot, and it has 200psi graduations, which has always annoyed me.

I was thinking about the HOG black-faced spg, and then a Highland spg at my LDS caught my eye. It looks almost exactly like this one, but it says "tempered glass" in frosted letters on the bottom left of the face, and I don't think it said Italy on it.

View attachment 170068
I've read that the Hog, Highland, and other spg's are all made by the same manufacturer in Italy and then rebranded. I can't find a picture of a Highland one that has the "tempered glass" label on the front and is lacking the Italy label, so I can't find the exact same one. Does anyone know if there is a difference? The one at my LDS is priced the same as the one pictured above. Scubatoys, leisurepro, etc all have the same price on it.

EDIT: I now notice that the HOG black face spg's have the "tempered glass" label in the exact font I remember from the one at my lds. Is it pretty safe to assume that these are the same gauge?

I own the Highland and HOG SPG, among others, all say Italy and all say Tempered Glass on them. The vast majority of Brass and Glass SPGs come from Termo in Italy and other than different branding they all say, well certainly everyone I've ever seen, Italy and Tempered Glass.

---------- Post added November 2nd, 2013 at 02:59 AM ----------

My favourite philosophy prof used to tell me that he had a problem for every solution. I have adopted that approach and it has served me well so far.

Still no reason to buy this product. I'm all for things that make diving easier, safer or more convenient but cannot see what this offers that less than 10" of cave line doesn't. If anything it adds complexity which is often a disadvantage. I doubt you'll get too many reviews as can't imagine too many people buying it. Out of curiosity how much is it? Cheers.

The rigidity of the system might be an issue. For instance, while I can easily unsnap mine I rarely do so because I can often just grab the SPG, move it forward, turn the face towards me, and look at the reading. Without diving it I am not sure how easy that would be with the integrated snap bolt system.

The silicon break away is similar to those who use an o-ring. It works okay but they tended to break. The silicon will probably hold up better. But if going that route why bother? Just use an o-ring and double ender or at that point back to basic cave line and simple bolt snap.

Looks like "upgrading" a perfectly functional piece of equipment. Not something that I'd be using. Brass and glass with cave line and a bolt snap has worked for many for years, and will continue to do so.

Is it pretty safe to assume that these are the same gauge?

Yes

I don't see any real benefit to the integration either... Cave line and a cigarette lighter FTW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom