Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

munkispank

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there,
I would like to raise the issue of divers insurance again, I was just about to buy DAN insurance, but called my insurance provider first, they said I am fully covered for diving accidents.

Is there anything I am missing, or not asking?

Obviously DAN would be usueful abroad I presume?-Is that why people have it usually?

thanks for advice

I may be wrong but I suspect that if you ask the right questions, you are not covered, at least not fully. Are you covered for charter jet service? Or who determines you do or don't need one or more chamber treatments...some untrained (dive med ) person working to keep the cost of the insurance down...no thanks. You may be "covered" but go back and ask who gets to determine what your treatment will be and what happens if you choose to ignore their recommendations and trust DAN's instead. Bet it will be "disallowed" or if they do pay their "reasonable and customary" will be a lot less than what you are charged....guess who pays, you do. If for no other reason, there is not a deductable for DAN insurance and unless you have great insurance, there will be deductables in your primary insurance. DAN will cover those decuctables which will most likely be a lot more than the $100 or so DAN cost.

yeah- thought as much. I am going to get DAN anyway as I will be travelling outside of the US- I take it DAN covers outside the US?

I suspect that the "customer representative" on the phone was not 100% sure of what she was saying they would cover.

My wife ICBM'd last year from about 80 ft last year due to a drysuit inflator problem. She had some mild shortness of breath breathing and did not respond to 02 treatment so a possible lung iunjury was suspected with a resulting trip to the ER. The bill was a little over $600 just to determine she was just overly anxious from the experience. The Dr. she saw, who was trained in hyperbaric medicine, was considered an "out of network" provider and the tests run were not pre-approved so our insurance covered virtually nothing even though her deductible for the year had been met.

So this year she is covered by DAN.

Which may be pretty handy as she was back in the ER Sunday night following 3 dives as she had some fuzziness and bright flashes in the right visual field of each eye. An occular migrane was the diagnosis that was made as any sort of occular DCS is very rare and her symptoms were pretty classic for an occular migrane. However the attending physician said it was most likely triggered by the changing 02 levels encountered while diving. It will be interesting to see how effectively an ER visit for this sort of scuba related ailment is covered by DAN.

DAN is cheap man, if you ever get bent it will more than make up for it's cost and if you don't your not really out a lot of money. Your insurance will most likely cover atleast some of the expenses but whatever it may not cover (like herman said a medevac) DAN will. Plus DAN is devoted to studying diving and maing it a safer sport, thats a good reason also!

It can't hurt you to HAVE DAN coverage... but it can hurt you to not have it!

:D

munkispank once bubbled...
yeah- thought as much. I am going to get DAN anyway as I will be travelling outside of the US- I take it DAN covers outside the US?

I suspect that the "customer representative" on the phone was not 100% sure of what she was saying they would cover.

DAN cover most of the world if not all of it, we have it in Asia/Australia and even though we havec never had to use it, so trip require that you have dive insurance.

And the peace of mind is worth the money.

=-)

Agree with the previous posts about DAN insurance...it is soooo cheap compared to what you might incur in a real accident.

:thumb:

:nurse:

:doc:

Get the coverage...it's worth it!

thanks for the advice everyone- we are now part of the DAN family- yay!!!

Back
Top Bottom