Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bjf123

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know there's a thread over in the Instructor to Instructor section about insurance, but it's related to instructor coverage. I'm curious what others do for their business insurance like store liability from teaching, liability from slips and falls, property coverage on inventory and fixtures, building insurance, business interruption, etc.

I use V&B.

When I opened my store, I shopped around and none of the regular insurance companies would touch me. They saw "scuba" and said no.

The price seemed reasonable and good coverage. The main reason however is because all my staff is covered by V&B and if we ever needed to use it, we would be all covered by the same carrier.

My policy does have a $2500 deductable for mechanical breakdown of your compressor. I asked if a lower deductable was available but there isn't.

I don't cover my staff or even myself under the store policy. The reason? It is a shared liability. If 1-2 people were named in a lawsuit, the liability would be spread between everyone. I didn't feel comfortable with that. It was cheaper and better coverage to have a separate policy that covered me.

V&B isn't really an option for us. We've got two PADI instructors, but only one teaching PADI, and everyone else is NAUI. Thanks for the info.

I operate a Dive charter in morro bay Ca, we carry 1,000,000.00 liability for passengers on our boat 1200.00 dedutible. It only cover the divers while on the boat, and the dive masters insurance covers them below. We also pay our divemaster very well so they can recoupe any cost. Works good for us.
hope this helps

shawn stamback

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom